Copy PCM to swap in a new one with Tech 2?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hopefully they approve my account soon. I'd love to share what happened. I couldn't' find any posts with similar issues.

I used PCM Hammer v21. Tried searching for older versions but wasn't having much luck.
It took a while for mine. PM me your requested username and I can send a nudge to the admin.

Mind sending over the logs or posting here? Curious to see the output logs of the read that borked the VATS.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I fried my PCM years ago in my 1994 Z28. Had to send it out to get it redone. That said, HP tuners is awesome. Never had slightest issue but I make sure laptop is well charged (even plugged in) and the battery is good.

Seems PCM hammer may not be fully tested.

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I fried my PCM years ago in my 1994 Z28. Had to send it out to get it redone. That said, HP tuners is awesome. Never had slightest issue but I make sure laptop is well charged (even plugged in) and the battery is good.

Seems PCM hammer may not be fully tested.
I've used pcm Hammer a couple times. I usually use LSDROID with no issues at all

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cannot for life of me get a bench programmer to work. Where am I going wrong...

Blue connector C1 & OBD2 Connector

GROUND: PCM Pin 1, OBD2 Pin 4 & 5
12.6v: PCM 20, OBD2 16
12.6v switched: PCM 19
Serial Data: OB2 2, PCM 58

I'm using DC power supply. PCM is pulling 0.39A @13.1V

PCM hammer will not connect though. I have connected through USB then Select Device->J2534 Device Type "VXDIAG".

I watched several YouTube tutorials and seems to be what they have setup.

UPDATE ABOVE IS CORRECT just my luck, I had a bad USB cable. Swapped USB cable and worked.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hotwired the PCM to the cluster. Monitored VSS Output with Oscope, as well as used a scan tool to see what computer said speed was. I then sent a sine wave in for the VSS input.

Everything worked like a champ BUT the cluster. I am searching for a new cluster now...

Will that Tech 2 win allow me to update the mileage on the new cluster? Any ideas... maybe I need a new thread.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool, I think I see on the pinout for the harness that there's a serial data line. I assume I hook the scan tool up to that serial data line and power the cluster...

Last cluster I did wasn't one of these newer style. It didn't have any serial data line.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I was successful in cloaning my PCM. Unfortunately, PCM wasn't the issue. It's the cluster that's gone bad. Having a heck of a time finding a new instrument cluster for a 1999 C5 Corvette Hardtop though. It dawned on me though, even when I get a new cluster I'll need to update it with my VIN and mileage. I'm assuming Tech 2 Win can help with programming a cluster?

I may try and fiddle w/ the software as I see not faults (visual inspection) on circuit board in cluster. Maybe the software just got corrupted.

Any idea on how to hook-up the scan tool to the cluster? I assume I just power the cluster, the scan tool, and connect the serial pin to the serial pin on the scan tool?

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
FWIW a Tech 2 isn't able to program mileage to a different cluster, at least not on my '04. Are you sure the 'Vette mileage is in the cluster?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csan2879