Copy PCM to swap in a new one with Tech 2?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This actually isn't for my Truck but think it's the same process regardless. It's for my 1999 C5 Corvette. I think the PCM is shot (bench test isn't passing long story).

I am going to buy another PCM I know I can either (1) buy from somebody who can program VIN or (2) buy license for PCM I buy then flash with my original tune in HP tuners.

I don't want to do either. I've been interested in perhaps getting a generic TECH 2 programmer (basically any bi-directional scan tool?). Can they do the same thing? Could I save the configuration from the original PCM then flash the new PCM with it?

Anybody know?

Last edited:

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This actually isn't for my Truck but think it's the same process regardless. It's for my 1999 C5 Corvette. I think the PCM is shot (bench test isn't passing long story).

I am going to buy another PCM I know I can either (1) buy from somebody who can program VIN or (2) buy license for PCM I buy then flash with my original tune in HP tuners.

I don't want to do either. I've been interested in perhaps getting a generic TECH 2 programmer (basically any bi-directional scan tool?). Can they do the same thing? Could I save the configuration from the original PCM then flash the new PCM with it?

Anybody know?
Get you a CHina clone TechII and then its $45 for the flash license. Here: https://www.acdelcotds.com/subscriptions You can actually get the latest and greatest for your C5 off the website when it comes time to flash or if your PCM is alive enough to allow it you can suck the program off of it and flash to your "new" PCM. Its all in the menu of the Tech II.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@rockola1971 you're quite possibly the internet's best kept secret when it comes to working on vehicles! Dang thanks for the tip. Curious, what's the thing about a Tech 2? Is it simply a bi-directional scan tool or something fancier / custom?

I couldn't sleep last night so was up till 2 AM researching. I discovered three free bidirectional programming softwares; LS Droid, Tuner Pro, and PCM Hammer. I'm going to see if they will work with my HP Tuners adapter. Otherwise guy at junkyard said certainly works with OBDx adapter. I also found out I could just order a PCM off eBay with my VIN burnt into it for $100. I really want to know how to do this though, for free on my own.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@rockola1971 you're quite possibly the internet's best kept secret when it comes to working on vehicles! Dang thanks for the tip. Curious, what's the thing about a Tech 2? Is it simply a bi-directional scan tool or something fancier / custom?

I couldn't sleep last night so was up till 2 AM researching. I discovered three free bidirectional programming softwares; LS Droid, Tuner Pro, and PCM Hammer. I'm going to see if they will work with my HP Tuners adapter. Otherwise guy at junkyard said certainly works with OBDx adapter. I also found out I could just order a PCM off eBay with my VIN burnt into it for $100. I really want to know how to do this though, for free on my own.
Lol. Im no secret. Been here for years. The Tech II is what GM provided its technicians to work on GM OBD2 vehicles "electronic" and sensor systems up until the MDI came out around 2009. The Tech II is packed with everything that a tech at a GM dealership would need to work on, troubleshoot and program a vehicle. It will even reprogram that stupid security code on your stereo system (factory). Attached is the path guide to the Tech II so you can see what all is in there. There are tons of how to on youtube also. Or just ask here. There are quite a few of us here that have a clone or the OG unit.

THe clone will cost somewhere around $300 (Make sure you specify the GM module) There are others available for foreign GM that dont make it here to the U.S. like a Holden. The Vehicle one flash option subscription is $45 (Similar to credits for HPtuners).

Attachments

• Pathing - GM Tech-2 - 2014.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 2

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use a VCX Nano (tech 2/MDI emulator) in combination with PCM Hammer to pull the OEM bin file as well as flash this copy to a spare PCM. I've also used the same Nano as a pass-through to apply updates via GM SPS2/techline connect.

Additionally, used TunerPro to turn on electric fans in the bin and flashed it with PCM Hammer.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use a VCX Nano (tech 2/MDI emulator) in combination with PCM Hammer to pull the OEM bin file as well as flash this copy to a spare PCM. I've also used the same Nano as a pass-through to apply updates via GM SPS2/techline connect.

Additionally, used TunerPro to turn on electric fans in the bin and flashed it with PCM Hammer.

@mattbta oh cool, yeah I spotted the VCX Nano on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/VXDIAG-Multiple-TIS2WEB-Diagnostic-Programming/dp/B01NACTAY8

Not sure if this works the same way? It has both Bluetooth and USB https://obdxpro.com/product/obdx-pro-gt-obd2-diagnostics-and-tuning/

Guy at junkyard said he likes the OBDX stuff and mentioned it also works with HP tuners.

THe clone will cost somewhere around $300 (Make sure you specify the GM module) There are others available for foreign GM that dont make it here to the U.S. like a Holden. The Vehicle one flash option subscription is $45 (Similar to credits for HPtuners).

When I search "GM Tech 2 Scanner" a bunch of stuff comes up on Amazon that specifies bi-directional scan tools. I'm not exactly sure what is what or what is technically a Tech 2 system. Trying to dig deeper on Google and forum but still bit confused short of buying an official GM tech 2 setup for $1000. Do you have a product name or link for a generic tech 2?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@mattbta I contacted OBDx and asked them they said I could clone a PCM with PCM hammer and their adapter supports it. Further research looks like the OBDx adapter is more versatile, supports more protocols. However, I went ahead and bought the VCX Nano for the included Tech 2 Win license. Thanks for the tip! I'll test it out with PCM hammer and download the OS / calibration from my old PCM.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Tech-2 can no longer be used with ACDelco's TDS system online. Tech-2s do come with 2 CDs with TIS2000 which has all of the software for the pre 2007 vehicles including updates right on the disc. The trick is in getting TIS2000 to work. I have it working on an old laptop with Windows 7.

The Tech-2 cannot copy software off one computer module and paste/program it to another.

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lots of folks are happy with the OBDx. Should be fine.

For both SPS/techline connect and PCM Hammer, the Nano functions as a j-2534 pass through. I used it once in vehicle with SPS to change my radio programming from premium to luxury. I didn't have a power source hooked up and it made me super nervous. Ever since then, I got a spare PCM and bench harness. With the Nano and bench harness, PCM Hammer is capable of 4x speed, which is nice! Full flash took ~4 minutes.

If you are curious to do any tuning/parameter mods with TunerPro you will need to know your OS ID to search for an XDF (basically an xml file mapping of segment and parameter locations that TunerPro uses). Connect PCM Hammer and read the contents to bin file and check the logs to get the OS ID. pcmhacking.net and gearhead-efi.com have lots of bins/xdfs, but I'm don't know anything about the 512Kb stuff, just been looking into the P59 1Mb stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trickystick19