Concerned with Transmission. Thoughts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
6AFA1AF5-5F49-4ABC-BFD1-470C154D1105.jpeg
Silver area I circled in red is the heat shield over the mount. I would do that first and see if you noise goes away. I would then look at your ujoints and slipyoke and eevn the pinion bearing if you feel like noise is coming from the rear. Any leaking from the pinion seal?

OP
OP
K

Krmnnghia

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Being that its in the mid 30's outside I will have to wait until it warms up to do the mount. I need to look in to the H2 mount as I hear those last longer.

The old saying...when it rains it pours. I drove to Napa today, parked, went in, came back out and the truck wouldn't start. Wouldn't even try. Got a jump and was on my way but seriously WTH. Now to track down that issue.

Yukonjoe2001

Reaction score
Could use some advice...07 Yukon Denali XL, original 6spd trans with 104k miles. Unknown trans service history but vehicle was very well taken care of overall when I acquired it at 102k miles. Just did the front and rear dif and the transfer case fluids last week which i believe were probably about due judging by the color of the fluid. No chunks came out just some really fine shavings as I would expect. Magnets looked good.

Drove 10 hours this weekend and noticed on occasion if doing say 60mph and I needed to quickly pass someone at near WOT, it will downshift several gears with a very loud and violent bang. If I ease in to it, it downshifts smooth as silk. Upshifts 1-2 & 2-3 are sometimes harsh at very slow speeds but nothing too concerning. I also have quite a delay from reverse to drive on occasion...roughly 1.5 seconds after putting it in "D" it will finally shift. Which of my concerns are normal complaints of the 6spd? The different forums I checked concerning the 6l80 are all over the place on these issues it seems with some having them since day 1 of their new vehicles. I plan on doing a complete fluid transfer and filter service soon but will hold off if anyone thinks I have bigger problems. Thanks
Beware of flushing your trans. Some times that could dislodge gunk/small pieces of debris that could clog somewhere further down and speed up the death of your trans. I'd line up another trans just in case

OP
OP
K

Krmnnghia

Reaction score
Beware of flushing your trans. Some times that could dislodge gunk/small pieces of debris that could clog somewhere further down and speed up the death of your trans. I'd line up another trans just in case

This is like the old wives tale that just won’t die. I Will flush the trans through the stock trans lines and fill with new until the color changes. No old school flushes here...

Shaw520

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup,..thats the right way to do it,.. Ive done numerous old trannys like that without issue, old wives tale.

Yukonjoe2001

Reaction score
I'm sure there has been situations where flushing has made it worse,sometimes you get lucky. I've had and seen cases,where people have by simply changing there fluid and filter have had transmission failure. For that reason,I don't ever change mine. never any problems and I haven't even checked mine in 28,000 miles. Just my beliefs

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rcarew907