Transmission Cooling Line Repair?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not so concerned about the price as much as not seeing how to reach the fittings atop the tranny

@OR VietVet just did a very similar repair and posted pics that should be helpful. Check it out here: https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/thr...ish-i-didnt-turn-wrenches.142050/post-1853787

I'd recommend getting some flare nut wrenches. Or, if you have no need to add some to your tool collection, buy box end wrench(es) in the size(s) you need and use a grinder or cutoff disc or even a hack saw to notch the end to fit the line (~3/8"). For specialty tools like this, I hit up the miscellaneous loose tool bin at the pawn shop. You can grab an old, but good wrench (Proto/Challenger, old school Craftsman, etc.) that shouldn't break as the Harbor Freight ones are more likely to do.

Last edited:

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
@OR VietVet just did a very similar repair and posted pics that should be helpful. Check it out here: https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/thr...ish-i-didnt-turn-wrenches.142050/post-1853787

I'd recommend getting some flare nut wrenches. Or, if you have no need to add some to your tool collection, buy box end wrench(es) in the size(s) you need and use a grinder or cutoff disc or even a hack saw to notch the end to fit the line (~3/8"). For specialty tools like this, I hit up the miscellaneous loose tool bin at the pawn shop. You can grab an old, but good wrench (Proto/Challenger, old school Craftsman, etc.) that shouldn't break as the Harbor Freight ones are more likely to do.
Broke everything loose with 1/2" line wrench. Then used a short open end to remove. Started all fittings by hand and finished running them down with open end and tightened down with the line wrench. Went well. Radiator area was plenty of room. At the transmission was tight with lots of wrench flipping.

Last edited:

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've not done tranny lines but I have messed with oil lines, same style hose and crimps that seep and leak.

don't waste your time trying to repair these things.. either replace the whole thing front to back or change to a PTFE style hose and AN fittings. (very expensive) nothing in between is really worth the hassle and if they fail, it's expensive and a mess.

OP
OP
EddieC

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I wish my tube routes and connection access on the tranny were so simple as yours.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I wish my tube routes and connection access on the tranny were so simple as yours.
At Inline Tube, some of the lines come in two pieces for ease of install. You can call them and see what they can make for you.

OP
OP
EddieC

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At Inline Tube, some of the lines come in two pieces for ease of install. You can call them and see what they can make for you.
I need an 8 year old's hands to get to the transmission connections behind the exhaust. Right there the pipe expands out looking like a boa that swallowed something big.
I'm afraid that's one of those jobs that someone else gets to carry the headache but it's worth trying a repair first.

Last edited:

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

His trans is a 700R4, which is essentially the same as the 4L60E, at least, in this case. It sure looks like mine. Your '08 should be like mine. Or is yours a 4WD and that makes it more complicated?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019