Concerned with Transmission. Thoughts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Krmnnghia

Reaction score
Could use some advice...07 Yukon Denali XL, original 6spd trans with 104k miles. Unknown trans service history but vehicle was very well taken care of overall when I acquired it at 102k miles. Just did the front and rear dif and the transfer case fluids last week which i believe were probably about due judging by the color of the fluid. No chunks came out just some really fine shavings as I would expect. Magnets looked good.

Drove 10 hours this weekend and noticed on occasion if doing say 60mph and I needed to quickly pass someone at near WOT, it will downshift several gears with a very loud and violent bang. If I ease in to it, it downshifts smooth as silk. Upshifts 1-2 & 2-3 are sometimes harsh at very slow speeds but nothing too concerning. I also have quite a delay from reverse to drive on occasion...roughly 1.5 seconds after putting it in "D" it will finally shift. Which of my concerns are normal complaints of the 6spd? The different forums I checked concerning the 6l80 are all over the place on these issues it seems with some having them since day 1 of their new vehicles. I plan on doing a complete fluid transfer and filter service soon but will hold off if anyone thinks I have bigger problems. Thanks

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Change the fluid. The transmission learns how we drive and different styles can cause it to act funny, it also adjusts for wear. It'll operate a lot nicer if you get a tune for your truck from BlackBear. As for the downshift bang, that's a new one for me. Maybe others will have knowledge of that.

OP
OP
K

Krmnnghia

Reaction score
Thanks swathdiver. I will try and get to it in the coming weeks.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
I was unaware of any 6 speed transmissions in 07.... I was under the impression they didn't put 6l80e in until 09.

OP
OP
K

Krmnnghia

Reaction score
So something interesting I have noticed recently. It has been 20-30 degrees in the morning lately when I take my son to school. Twice in the last 10 days, after a brief 3-4 minute warm up, the first time the vehicle goes from 2nd to 3rd I am getting the same strange clunk from what sounds like the rear. My takeoffs and speed are very slow(under 15mph) so its not like I am hammering it. After that clunk I won't hear it again for the rest of the day and shifting up/down is normal.

Possibly related although I doubt it...I did the motor mount test and I think my driver side is bad. Engine torques to the passenger side an inch or so.

Thoughts?

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So something interesting I have noticed recently. It has been 20-30 degrees in the morning lately when I take my son to school. Twice in the last 10 days, after a brief 3-4 minute warm up, the first time the vehicle goes from 2nd to 3rd I am getting the same strange clunk from what sounds like the rear. My takeoffs and speed are very slow(under 15mph) so its not like I am hammering it. After that clunk I won't hear it again for the rest of the day and shifting up/down is normal.

Possibly related although I doubt it...I did the motor mount test and I think my driver side is bad. Engine torques to the passenger side an inch or so.

Thoughts?
Bad Motor mount would go more than an inch.... how are your u joints?

doc_sun

Scotcher
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gonna follow this one. I'm getting the occasional clunk when cold as well. Also a little extra vibration under acceleration as well lately. Might be paranoia hearing there tho...

OP
OP
K

Krmnnghia

Reaction score
Gonna follow this one. I'm getting the occasional clunk when cold as well. Also a little extra vibration under acceleration as well lately. Might be paranoia hearing there tho...

I found this thread and the last two comments are interesting... http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/6l90e-problems.80106/page-2

I’m going to take a video of my motor doing the brake/rev test and maybe the folks here can at least tell me if I have a motor mount problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
21 tots hoes Z71

Latest posts