Cast phone screen to infotainment screen?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
clogan2

clogan2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Used the Android Auto today: disappointed.
Google Android Auto GPS was waaay better than the Chevy GPS, but not nearly as good as the GPS on the phone used "stand alone".

Yep, read that again. With Android Auto, you effectively have 3 different options for mapping: the OEM from Chevy (virtually worthless, IMHO), the smartphone as a stand alone unit (the best, IMHO), and the Android Auto version, available when your smartphone is connected via USB, and your vehicle is running the app.

The Android Auto GPS would not seem to accept the pre-planned route that I had designed and saved to my phone's home screen the night before. Instead, it insisted that I choose from the routes it devised, which took me thru cities and towns that my self-designed route would have avoided. Rats!

Too bad you can't simply "cast" your phone screen directly to the infotainment screen. That would solve a lot of problems.

I'll probably use Android Auto for GPS again sometime, but using the phone stand alone is far better. I use the phone as a GPS on my motorcycles, and can easily avoid any city or town that I care to, and can design any route that I care to.

Don't know why they have to make it so convoluted to use in a vehicle.

TechSupport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can cast to your screen but it takes a few add on parts. A video in motion unlock or plug and play adapter. You also need to add an HDMI input then plug in a chromecast or Apple TV. I installed an Apple TV in my truck and can use AirPlay to mirror my iPhone if I wanted too. I posted a video of it.

OP
OP
clogan2

clogan2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My solution as of now is to put the phone in the charger slot, and leave it in hands free mode for calls, texts, emails, Pandora, etc, etc. ("Hey, Droid, what's up?" is very handy)

Then, if I need NAV, I plug in the USB and run Android Auto.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667