Cast phone screen to infotainment screen?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

clogan2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2016 Tahoe LTZ. Is there any way to cast my android smart phone screen to the Tahoe infotainment screen? I use Google maps as my gps rather than the POS gps Chevy supplies with the vehicle, and it would be nice to see my maps on "the big screen". Also would be nice to watch videos from my phone as well, but the best thing would be the gps.

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you thinking android auto? You should already be able to do that. Otherwise, if you A/V inputs, some have modified an Apple TV unit with a composite/hdmi converter to display the screen. Can it be done with chromecast? Don't know.

OP
OP
clogan2

clogan2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should it be possible using the Android Auto app? I have loaded it to my phone, but the wife is gone with the Tahoe, so I am unable to complete the setup, or try anything. This will be really cool if I can do it.

The Chevy gps (which they charge dearly for) does not even have parts of US Highway 70S in its data base. This is a major, federal divided highway, 65 mph speed limit, and Chevy's gps does not even know it exists! Plus, compared to Google Maps, the Chevy gps is archaic, cumbersome, and overall just a pain in the ___ to use. I'm frankly surprised that some consumer group has not filed suit over it. Its that bad!

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Under menu, then settings, you can check to see if android auto and/or Apple CarPlay options have been turned on. I'm an apple guy myself, so I'm not sure if it will show up under android auto. Anyone else have any thoughts?...

OP
OP
clogan2

clogan2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been reading about Andriod Auto...sounds like:
1. Download the app
2. Get in the Tahoe (engine running)
3. Plug USB cable into phone and into Tahoe dash, then
4. Follow the prompts.

Cant wait to try it!
The factory gps has been the one major disappointment in an otherwise fine automobile.

I'll post again tomorrow (wife's gone 'til then), after trying it out.

TechSupport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2016 Tahoe LTZ. Is there any way to cast my android smart phone screen to the Tahoe infotainment screen? I use Google maps as my gps rather than the POS gps Chevy supplies with the vehicle, and it would be nice to see my maps on "the big screen". Also would be nice to watch videos from my phone as well, but the best thing would be the gps.

“casting” your screen isn’t the same as android auto. Sounds like you want to mirror your screen. I did it on mine with an Apple TV and HDMI input mod. You can do the same thing with a chromecast and the HDMI mod.

Here’s a video I did last year of mine.

TechSupport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you just want android auto or CarPlay you need to make sure your CUE software is updated depending on when your truck was built.

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
“casting” your screen isn’t the same as android auto. Sounds like you want to mirror your screen. I did it on mine with an Apple TV and HDMI input mod. You can do the same thing with a chromecast and the HDMI mod.

Here’s a video I did last year of mine.

Did you do a separate write-up/ thread on it?

OP
OP
clogan2

clogan2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All I really want to do is have the Tahoe infotainment screen display gps/map images from Google Maps (from my phone) instead of the crappy, POS "maps" from the OEM gps system. I want to see Google Maps on the big screen as I drive, and not have to be distracted by looking at my tiny (in comparison) phone screen, which is probably against the law anyhow.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that factory piece of crap was the first thing to get yanked in mine (2012) all I could hear was the navigation disc reading, reading, reading I guess they have hard drives now but still.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz