can someone recommend me a set of tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fatboyracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am in the market for a new set of tires for my daily driver I need a set of 275-60-20 I like the look of mud tires or a/t tires but I drive 99.9% of the time on pavement.

We get some snow not a lot but that being said i live in the county they hardly ever plow and I am on call I have to be able to get to work.

I also worry about traction in the rain

Any help I currently have a set of hercules terra tracs and they are horrible they have only lasted 20k miles if that they are horrible in snow and rain

MudnRox

Rebel without a clue
Reaction score
I just switched from the factory Goodyear LS-2 to Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza in the 275/55/20. So far I love them. It's not an a/t tire but does have a somewhat aggressive tread and is quite in the road. The ride is considerably better than the Goodyears, as they felt mushy even when aired up properly. These have a solid feel to them. They are very good in the rain but can;t comment on how they do in snow as I have not yet driven in it.

When shopping for tires I go to tirerack.com and read the reviews on the tires I'm interested in. The Bridgestones have very good ratings in all categories.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

scryfst

Supporting Member
Reaction score
There really isn't a "one size fits all" tire. There's always going to be a trade off. You just need to decide where you want yours to be. Summer tires offer great warm weather, dry and wet traction, but are horrible in the cold and forget about the snow. All season tires offer mediocre traction all year round. Some better in the snow than others,... non spectacular. Large lug mud tires are noisy and uncomfortable on dry pavement and just ok in the rain. Despite misconceptions aren't exactly ideal in the snow either.

Why not buy a cheap steel wheel or search out used o.e. wheels (they can be had on the cheap) to run a dedicated snow tire during the winter months? This way, you get the best of both worlds! On my Yukon, which is 2wd, I run general grabber UHP, which perform fantastic in the rain, and then switch to a dedicated snow tire when the white stuff is in the forecast.

If you've never run good (look for the mountain/snowflake symbol) snow tires. My rwd Denali has no issues getting down roads that would require 4wd in my truck or daughters wrangler.

If that's not a option I've found general grabbers to be a rather good all around tire and run them on my 4wd truck and my daughters Jeep wrangler. On a 4wd vehicle where you're looking for that off road look they fit the bill pretty nicely, aren't incredibly loud, perform reasonably well on dry pavement, in the rain and do okay in the snow (especially with 4wd).

Bacovish

Reaction score
I've had the Bridgestone dueler AT on many of my vehicles and couple of the above mentioned. The duelers I thought were awesome tires for all the highway driving I did and at the hunting lease they never left me stuck in a hole. The last pair I had far exceeded the life span expectations. Never had them in the snow though. I know in the mud they clean out real well. Almost forgot to mention they were super smooth. I've had the Tera ended up taking them off and selling them. The Bfg AT were super smooth and not that loud but left me stuck in a hole couple times.

Last edited:

Jason_S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I liked the factory Goodyear tires for the first 15k, after that they could get interesting in the snow, but they were the only tire that I ran on the Tahoe.

+1 to what scryfst said. From what you said, a dedicated snow tire is probably the best route for you. For a big SUV, I prefer a good all season for most season driving. It's not a racecar, sports car or a car at all, so ultra high performance tires are a waste. If you need your Tahoe to look like you take it offroad, the Nitto Tera Grapplers were good to me on my Superduty.

massivespl

I'm not mean, I'm honest.
Reaction score
I have blizzak snow tires on my wife's Grand Prix and I have Bridgestone duellers on my Tahoe.. In 2wheel drove my Tahoe is 10x's better in traction and taking off with now peeling out... I know it's a car vs truck but still I'm very happy with these Bridgestone on dry/wet/snow/ice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Azwood12