Upgrading Ride Quality of a 2018 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4WD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NBAYoungBoy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm looking to upgrade the ride quality of my 2018 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4WD and would appreciate your insights and recommendations.

Tires
Currently, I have Goodyear Eagle Touring tires, size 285/45R22. I'm considering switching to either Michelin Defender LTX M/S 2 or Michelin Cross Climate 2. I've had a positive experience with the CrossClimate SUV (not the 2s) on my Highlander, especially in winter conditions here in Ohio. How do these two options compare for a vehicle like the Tahoe, particularly in snowy conditions?

Suspension Upgrade
I'm also contemplating a suspension upgrade. I've come across the Bilstein 6122s (front, part number 47-310834) and Bilstein 5160s (rear, part number 25-251937). Alternatively, I'm considering Fox 2.0 Shocks. My driving is mostly city and highway, with some occasional off-roading. Which suspension system would you recommend for this mix of driving conditions?

Are there any other parts or upgrades you would suggest for improving the ride quality and handling of my Tahoe?

k_arnold72

Reaction score
I recently switched to Michelin Defenders and have been happy with them. Much more comfortable and quiet than the continental terraincontacts that the truck came with. But I also swapped wheels at the same time, so that might also be a factor. Based on the reviews they seem like one of the best(if not THE best) tires on the market in this size.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Michelin Defenders. There's been nothing that the NH winters have thrown at me that the Defenders could not easily handle.

OP
OP
NBAYoungBoy

NBAYoungBoy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Michelin Defenders. There's been nothing that the NH winters have thrown at me that the Defenders could not easily handle.
Thanks for the advice on the Michelin Defenders! I’m also thinking about switching rim sizes - currently, I have 22-inch rims but am considering either 20-inch or 18-inch ones. In your experience, is there a big difference in ride quality between 18 and 20 inches? Would you recommend going down to 18 inches for a better ride?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice on the Michelin Defenders! I’m also thinking about switching rim sizes - currently, I have 22-inch rims but am considering either 20-inch or 18-inch ones. In your experience, is there a big difference in ride quality between 18 and 20 inches? Would you recommend going down to 18 inches for a better ride?
yes 20 or 18 with a larger tire will make a notiecable diiference

OP
OP
NBAYoungBoy

NBAYoungBoy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
yes 20 or 18 with a larger tire will make a notiecable diiference
I’ll settle on the 20s then. Now, onto shocks – it’s down to either Bilstein 6122s upfront and 5160s in the back, or just going for the Fox 2.0s. Heard from a few folks that the Fox might be the way to go. Got any thoughts on that?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ll settle on the 20s then. Now, onto shocks – it’s down to either Bilstein 6122s upfront and 5160s in the back, or just going for the Fox 2.0s. Heard from a few folks that the Fox might be the way to go. Got any thoughts on that?
I have never used fox mainly due to cost, but the bilsteins are good for sure

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019