Broken Motor Mounts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sk1dm4rk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with Dub. Your motor would lift and move a few inches if it was bad. It is merely twisting in place, which is normal in my experience.

Regards,

Mark

Aisha Kameel

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I took my 2010 Tahoe to the dealership and I have a broken engine motor mount and a broken transmission motor mount. From looking at all the post I'm worried that I made a bad $1000 + decision with this repair. One, why is there not a recall, two having the same GM part put back on seems like I may have the same issue down the road. I don't drive off road and only haul my 3 kids I'm very disappointed.

Jason_S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took my 2010 Tahoe to the dealership and I have a broken engine motor mount and a broken transmission motor mount. From looking at all the post I'm worried that I made a bad $1000 + decision with this repair. One, why is there not a recall, two having the same GM part put back on seems like I may have the same issue down the road. I don't drive off road and only haul my 3 kids I'm very disappointed.

You got ~7 years out of a set of rubber motor mounts. All things considered, I think that that is a reasonable service life.

OWSI

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Anyone ever hear any word on an upgraded mount from GM?? I'm about to take my 07 Tahoe to the dealer to have the left engine mount replaced. Again. This is the third time. I towed my boat to the lake once this year after they changed the mount in June and it's history again. Clunk in the drive train leaving every stop sign. Should be under warranty this time as they gave me a year on the last job. Seriously? What do the guys with Escalades and a 6.2 do? Or you guys with a supercharger? How do you keep from tearing that mount out every time you get on it? I'm about to chain the engine down like the old drag racers used to do. Please GM, redesign the thing already!

Jason_S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever hear any word on an upgraded mount from GM?? I'm about to take my 07 Tahoe to the dealer to have the left engine mount replaced. Again. This is the third time. I towed my boat to the lake once this year after they changed the mount in June and it's history again. Clunk in the drive train leaving every stop sign. Should be under warranty this time as they gave me a year on the last job. Seriously? What do the guys with Escalades and a 6.2 do? Or you guys with a supercharger? How do you keep from tearing that mount out every time you get on it? I'm about to chain the engine down like the old drag racers used to do. Please GM, redesign the thing already!

Are you sure that the clunk is the motor mount? Have more vibration at a stop while in gear (D or R depending on side) than while in neutral? Have you looked at the u joints in your drive shaft? Serviced the rear differential? There are a number of potential sources of a driveline clunk than just a motor mount. You will find out for sure once you get it to the dealership, but they will only replace with GM parts if that is what is wrong.

This http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/diymmi is an option, but I seriously doubt that a dealership would do the install. An independent shop may do the install, but I doubt whoever does the install will offer a warranty on the parts.

OWSI

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Are you sure that the clunk is the motor mount? Have more vibration at a stop while in gear (D or R depending on side) than while in neutral? Have you looked at the u joints in your drive shaft? Serviced the rear differential? There are a number of potential sources of a driveline clunk than just a motor mount. You will find out for sure once you get it to the dealership, but they will only replace with GM parts if that is what is wrong.

This http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/diymmi is an option, but I seriously doubt that a dealership would do the install. An independent shop may do the install, but I doubt whoever does the install will offer a warranty on the parts.

Jason, unfortunately, I am sure it's the mount. U joints and drive shaft are fine and the diffs have been serviced. Describing this as a clunk may not be the best choice of words, as it's not so much an audible thing as what you most definitely can feel. This being the third time I'm going through it, I'm pretty well tuned in to what is going on. It's more of a bump you feel in the vehicle when leaving a light. Kinda like a dead blow hammer being dropped on the carpet. And it is for sure not in the rear. Each time the mount has been changed, it's been like driving a different vehicle. The difference is very noticeable when it's right. Just seems tighter somehow. I almost wish it was something else. In all the years I've been driving I have NEVER had to replace an engine mount in a vehicle before. I'm thinking it has got to have something to do with towing the boat, but trailer and all, that's under 5k lbs. A lot of weight, yes, but well within the limits. And like I said before, I towed it once this year after mount was replaced. I believe I have under 4k miles on it since and it might be under 3k. The dealer told me it was at 120k + on the odometer in June when I had this done. I'm at 123.5K now. That's just ridiculous. If I knew of a better aftermarket mount, believe me, I'd have it installed. But from what I've read here, it doesn't exist. I appreciate the link, I may look into it.

Sbooth-17

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Osidesurfer365,

We understand that you would like to resolve your vehicle issue at a third party company to save you money.

Regarding the cracked dash board concern, each case is unique and we do look at each case on a case by case bases. I cannot guarantee a different result regarding cost assistant but I would like to look into this concern for you. Could you please private message me you full name, address, phone number, VIN, and exact mileage. and preferred dealership?

Regards,

Jennifer T.
GM Customer Care

Jennifer I have 2008 Tahoe with the same exact problems. Replaced my engine mounts twice already in 2 years and they are broke again?! Also my dash is cracked in two different places, beside passenger side air bag and on driver side next to the arch. I live in Pensacola FL and would be much appreciative of any help that you can provide me? I got a quote from a 3rd party mechanic for $600.00,this will make $1800.00 in 2 years for same issue?!?! Sandy Sansing Chevrolet quoted me $1500.00 just to replace the mounts. Please help!

George1992

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Is the motor mount cracking issue a symptom of a larger problem? I have a 2007 Chevy Tahoe that was just reported to me as having a cracked driver side motor mount and sway bar links. I actually thought it was a transmission problem because it caused a slipping feeling when the gas was pressed.

It is costing $500 to get it fixed but with referenced to dashboard issues, is there a bigger issue that Chevy is not disclosing. I have never had a car with cracked motor mounts and it is not a good sign of engine stability, etc. Anyone have thought or experience with this. Are there other issues to follow?

sk1dm4rk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Throwing out a SWAG, perhaps maybe a design deficiency in load handling. These are big engines in a heavy platform with pretty good towing capacity. All of that rotational torque is apparently ripping them apart.

I replaced mine with a GM mount about a 18 months ago and it is holding still. There are many threads referencing how to do it if you want to save yourself about $450 of that cost.

Good luck.

Regards,

Mark

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadi awais