Brake Upgrade. Whats best?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Smasal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Feel like it's over sensitive. I just changed pads and rotors. Maybe I have air in the lines or need to change to SS? New fluid? I have a steep driveway. It should engage. Just bugs me I guess. Wanna make sure it is working properly.

Ch@d

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
There was an ABS issue around in a tsb. Perhaps it may be the issue instead:

Bulletin No.: 02-05-25-006B
Date: January 05, 2006
TECHNICAL
Subject:
Antilock Brake (ABS) Activation At Low Speeds (Clean Wheel Speed Sensor Mounting Surface) Models:
1999-2000 Cadillac Escalade
1995-1999 Chevrolet Silverado (Old Style)
1995-2000 Chevrolet Suburban, Tahoe (Old Style)
1995-2003 Chevrolet Astro Van, Blazer, S10
1995-1999 GMC Sierra (Old Style)
1995-2000 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL (Old Style)
1995-2001 GMC Envoy, Jimmy
1995-2003 GMC Safari Van, Sonoma
1995-2001 Oldsmobile Bravada Supercede:
This bulletin is being revised to update the correction and warranty information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 02-05-25-006A (Section 05 - Brakes).
Condition
Some customers may comment on ABS activation at low speeds, usually below 8 km/h (5 mph). Upon investigation, the technician will find no DTCs set.
Cause
The cause of this condition may be an increased air gap between the wheel speed sensor and the hub reluctor ring due to rust and debris built up on the sensor mounting surface.
Correction
Measure AC voltage and clean wheel speed sensor mounting surfaces.
1. Raise the vehicle on a hoist. 2. Disconnect both the front wheel speed sensor harness connectors. 3. Place a DVM across the terminals of each sensor connector. 4. Rotate the wheel with hand speed and measure the ACmV's. The reading should be at least 350 ACmV's. 5. If the reading is between 200 and 350 ACmV's, remove the wheel, caliper and rotor in order to gain access to the speed sensor. 6. Remove the wheel speed sensor and plug the hole to prevent debris from falling into the hub during service. 7. Clean the wheel speed sensor mounting surface using a wire brush, sand paper, emery cloth, ScotchBrite(TM) or other suitable material. Be sure to thoroughly clean the wheel speed sensor surface. There should be no rust or corrosion. 8. Check the sensor head to determine if it has been warped/distorted due to the corrosion build up or other causes. Check the mounting surface on the sensor head for flatness by placing it on the edge of a metal machinists scale or other suitable straight edge to measure the flatness. Check the sensor for flatness in multiple (minimum 3) positions/directions. If the sensor head is distorted, replace the sensor. 9. Apply (spray) two thin coats of the specified rust penetrating lubricant (corrosion inhibitor) to the complete sensor mounting surface on the bearing hub. Allow to dry for 3-5 minutes between coats. Use ONLY Rust Penetrating Lubricant, P/N 89022217 (Canadian P/N 89022218). 10. When the corrosion inhibitor is dry to the touch (about 10 minutes), apply a thin layer of bearing grease to the hub surface and sensor 0-ring prior to sensor installation. Use ONLY Wheel Bearing Lubricant, P/N 01051344 (Canadian P/N 993037). 11. Install either the original sensor or a new one in the hub and secure the sensor. Ensure that the sensor is seated flush against the hub. 12. Install the rotor, the caliper and the wheel. 13. Place the DVM across the sensor terminals and recheck the voltage while rotating the wheel by hand. The voltage should now read at least 350 ACmV's.

---------- Post added at 08:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:31 PM ----------

Keep your lines unless damaged or swelling, make sure your fluid is clean and free of air bubbles. Find some flat asphalt ground, floor it to about 80 and slam the brakes as if your life depended on it. Tell me how it came out.

Smasal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will do this and repost this evening. And see what happens. Especially before the new tires.

Ch@d

atis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, brake question in the spirit of the thread.... semi-metalic or ceramic pads for braking improvement?? (I am getting cross drilled rotors at the same time)

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Ok, brake question in the spirit of the thread.... semi-metalic or ceramic pads for braking improvement?? (I am getting cross drilled rotors at the same time)
Stick with powerslot cryo's slotted and hawk HP Superduty pads. No drilled. After that a hydra-boost unit. It is the most effective upgrade route.

THE YETI

Director of Operations
Supporting Member
Reaction score
best thing right now is the Wilwood 16" 6-Piston STEAL right now... $1999 shipped for the ENTIRE setup w/ lines and all. Cannot beat that!!! Regularly $3K

atis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I dont need a massive increase in stopping power, she is stock on stock tires/rims and is my DD for work and soccer.

OP
OP

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i tossed a set of ceramics to go back to the semi's, couldn't come close to locking them up or stoping short with the set of ceramics on it (may have just been that set of pads, couldn't tell you what brand they were) i've locked them up on dry pavement with the semi's. (just have to clean the wheels often. hoping the teflons aren't affected as bad from the dust)

if you are rocking a pretty stock truck there is no reason to disable the ABS. it won't help you stop faster, just keep the wheels from locking up so you can maintain control of the truck - no sliding.

atis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are two of us in the thread asking break questions.... the other guy is asking about the ABS. I joined in on the " brake upgrade" side looking at what where the bolt on upgrades for a stock Hoe to improve the stopping distance.

So crossed drilled rotors and semi-metalic pads. Got it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo