Brake Upgrade. Whats best?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Need to beef up the brakes on the Hoe. not looking to throw a ton of money into swaps but what are you all running?

I've got a used rear disc kit in the garage from Stillen. not sure if its really going to be any different that the drums (other than looking better)

big Q is the front end, is it worth the $1000 kits for bigger rotors? or better to just put on higher quality rotors and bigger calipers with the stock hardware?

Also was a topic on TF before it died. the Hydro-boost conversion worth the money?

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
bigger is better in brakes....if you have the money. I am running stock size cross drilled and slotted with Hawk pads and the ABS unhooked. Stops way better than stock

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have R1 Premium rotors and Hawks pads with stainless brake lines. Very happy with the results!

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Max has said good stuff about Power Slots and Hawk pads. Agree, stainless brake lines help as well.

destroyer1362

A work in progress
Reaction score
bigger is better in brakes....if you have the money. I am running stock size cross drilled and slotted with Hawk pads and the ABS unhooked. Stops way better than stock

How does unhooking the abs help? Just curious bc brakes are on my to do list as well.

OP
OP

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my abs has been disfunctional since the re gear. already has stainless lines on the front, rear will go on with the disc swap.

been debating the slotted rotors and of course better pads.

anyone running rear disc? need to know if i need a proportioning valve to make them work correctly.

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stainless lines also, forgot that one...it was a must with the lift so I always forget.

Unhooking the ABS:

First, the system is not setup for a 35" tire and that leads to the following problem.
When you press the pedal hard the ABS computer senses the amount of pressure and determines that tires lockup is imminent and begins to back the pressure off the system causing really crappy stopping. Simply pulled the fuse and went out for a test drive...works like a charm now. Firmer brake pedal when stopping. ABS being unplugged simpley reverts back to standard braking

OP
OP

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wait wait wait. i heard you couldn't pull the fuse on it cause it'll kick in and work worse than it already does on 35's.

I'll have to try that though. those short stops are a PITA right now.
so the parts list so far:
-Power Slots front (and rear if i can figure out what those Stillen disc's are actually off of)
-Hawk Pads (front and rear)
-Put on the rear disc kit
-rear stainless line.

still need to find out on the proportioning valve and the hydro boost conversion.

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
pulling the big fuse under the hood. Completely disables the ABS. Trust me, it will lock them up now with no problem.

bass1775

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brakes have always been a problem on my tahoe. I drive aggressively. Is there a big brake conversion for the 98's? Everything I've seen is for the 2k's and newer. I'm running slotted and crossed drilled rotors up front w ceramic pads and stainless lines. They stop better than stock but, could be better. I still have the drum brakes on the rear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019