Box question before i start building

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Midgetclown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys havent been on in a while. Im currently in the "buying" phase of my new audio build but im trying to figure out what kind of box i want to build for my sub. I bought an Fi ssd12 a while ago and as of right now its in a terribly built 1.2cube sealed box. It sounds pretty clean and loud when i listen to metal and it hits pretty hard when i feel like playing stuff just for bass. My question is if i were to build a ported box i know it will increase spl but will it cut down on sq alot? Theres nothing i hate more than listening to music and having the bands bass drum sound like a bass drop all muffled and distorted. If anyone can clear this up for me id greatly appreciate it.

NoPh33rRaCiNg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys havent been on in a while. Im currently in the "buying" phase of my new audio build but im trying to figure out what kind of box i want to build for my sub. I bought an Fi ssd12 a while ago and as of right now its in a terribly built 1.2cube sealed box. It sounds pretty clean and loud when i listen to metal and it hits pretty hard when i feel like playing stuff just for bass. My question is if i were to build a ported box i know it will increase spl but will it cut down on sq alot? Theres nothing i hate more than listening to music and having the bands bass drum sound like a bass drop all muffled and distorted. If anyone can clear this up for me id greatly appreciate it.

You could do ported tune around 38-40hz.

abladeafficionado

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is yours the regular or high QTS model? If it's the high QTS model, putting it in a ported box is a bad idea. The only box suitable for the high QTS model is sealed.

abladeafficionado

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could do ported tune around 38-40hz.

This is the difference between 32Hz and 40Hz on my sub. I couldn't find the specs for the regular QTS SSD 12 so I modelled up my sub. The 40Hz tune is much more peaky, and lacks the low end extension. Tuning to 32Hz gets an additional 6db at 30Hz, and maintains more low end extension. For a burp box, 40Hz is okay, but for the SQ he's wanting, 40Hz will disappoint.

Modelled up in a 2.5 ft^3 box. (the specs in the photo are in liters)

Screen Shot 2012-01-17 at 10.43.05 AM.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Midgetclown

Midgetclown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as i know i dont have a the high qts speaker.... In past research i was told if i was to port the box then make it a 2.5' cube box tuned to 33Hz. Do you think that setup would cut down on SQ?

abladeafficionado

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as i know i dont have a the high qts speaker.... In past research i was told if i was to port the box then make it a 2.5' cube box tuned to 33Hz. Do you think that setup would cut down on SQ?

That's exactly what I was going to recommend. Porting to around 32Hz/33Hz is about the sweet spot for SQ while retaining good output. Tuning to anything 36Hz or above generally is for SPL because it adds quite a hump to the response curve, something you don't want.

I generally will model up a sub ported, and play around with tuning frequency until I can get the F3 to about 30Hz. Some subs that's a 31Hz tune, some it's a 34Hz tune, all depends on the sub.

OP
OP
Midgetclown

Midgetclown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks alot for the input.... now i can actually make some decisions on how i want to do the new audio rebuild

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n