Bad wheel shake, and scary noises.. HELP!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I get the same popping noise when parking and when the wheel is cranked one way. This happened after installing the djm arms and I can not pinpoint the problem. My kit was installed over a year and a half now. I just changed the ball joints on the lower arms and the noise is still present :emotions122:

What did you guys torque the lower a arms to??

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
This is what I'd check. The axle nut. On ky explorer it came loose and it shook the wheel and also would naked a super loud noise like a whailing and it needed some thread locker and retighten and it worked. Check that also k

denalianyone

NYBlackLade08
Reaction score
What did you guys torque the lower a arms to??

It has been awhile. My mechanic installed the arms for me. He used an air gun not sure how much lbs it was torque to. Should it be loosen or tighten to rectify this annoying noise?

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Bushigns are shot most likely. 35 lbs on bushing bolts if you do more it busts the bushings. impact prob is 70

waxworkz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if it was a large impact gun, i think they can be set to 80 or 120, either way i think thats too much. i never use impacts to install, use a torque wrench, drive it a week and recheck every thing

MrBalll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same popping noise problem, but I have stock everything around that area. Is it just another typical problem like the steering shaft rattle?

MeanGreen03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same issue and there is a TSB for it. On mine, I can feel/hear it at the front bumper.

Snap/Popping Type Noise Coming from Front of Vehicle (Remove Bolt-In Front Crossmember and Add Washers) #03-08-61-002G - (Feb 14, 2006)
Snap/Popping Type Noise Coming from Front of Vehicle (Remove Bolt-In Front Crossmember and Add Washers)

2003-2006 Cadillac Escalade

2003-2006 Chevrolet Avalanche, Suburban, Tahoe

2004-2006 Chevrolet Silverado

2003-2006 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL

2004-2006 GMC Sierra

1500 Series (½ Ton) and 2500 Series (¾ Ton) with Two-Wheel Drive

This bulletin only applies to 1500 and 2500 series 2WD vehicles with recirculating ball type steering.

This bulletin is being revised to add the 2006 model year, update the correction information and change the quantity of parts needed. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 03-08-61-002F (Section 08 -- Body and Accessories).

Condition

Some customers may comment on a snap or popping-type noise coming from the front of the vehicle. This condition is most apparent during hard left or right turns at low speeds. Going over bumps while turning may also aid in producing this noise.

Correction

Remove the bolt-in front crossmember and add washers using the procedure listed below.

Important: DO NOT slot the mounting holes on the crossmember as stated in previous bulletins. Slotting the holes has been found to be less effective and, in some cases, causes the noise condition to be more prevalent.

1. Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in the General Information sub-section of the Service Manual.

2. Remove the mounting nuts, bolts and the front crossmember from the vehicle.

3. Clean all the undercoating off the crossmember in the area of the mounting holes.

4. Reinstall the crossmember with the bolts and nuts. On the driver and passenger side, add washer P/N 11509592, or equivalent hardened washer (see dimensions below), at each bolt head and nut location.

Tighten

Tighten the bolts to 120 N•m (89 lb ft).

5. Apply an even coat of Anti-Corrosion Coating, P/N 12346501, or equivalent, to the crossmember where removed. Overlap the original coating in order to provide an effective corrosion protection.

Inside Diameter Outside Diameter Thickness

14 mm (0.551 in) 35 mm (1.38 in) 3 mm (0.118 in)

Parts Information

Part Number Description Qty

11509592 Washer 8

denalianyone

NYBlackLade08
Reaction score
Ill give this a try MeanGreen..thx for the bulletin!

---------- Post added at 10:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 PM ----------

Did this fix your problem Trace?

MeanGreen03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are welcome Ray. No, I have not done this yet. I replaced all of my front suspension and body dropped it at the same time. It started doing it once I did that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
missymom68