07+ Brake upgrade on a 00-06 NBS, is it worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5x10

Reaction score
Want to upgrade but worried my wheels won’t allow for bigger rotors, you guys think I’m ok with my stock 17 wheels?

Jimmyy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know they are trying to get a list of what rims work with the upgrade.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Want to upgrade but worried my wheels won’t allow for bigger rotors. you guys think I’m ok with my stock 17" wheels?
GMT900 1500 brake upgrade fits and works inside 17" wheels with no issues. OE GMT900 wheel is usually 17" ...
although I do wonder about the GMT900 2500 front brakes ...

OP
OP
S

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Want to upgrade but worried my wheels won’t allow for bigger rotors, you guys think I’m ok with my stock 17 wheels?

To answer your question, YES. The GMT900 brake upgrade on a 00-06 will fit fine with 17" wheels. I did the swap on my 2001, and I have 17" wheels on my truck. Just be aware that if you don't get a 17" spare as well, then you will have to be aware of this if you get a flat tire on a front wheel. You'd have to put the spare on the rear, and move that 17" wheel from the rear on to the front.

OP
OP
S

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, since I'm the one who started this thread, I guess I should give somewhat of an update.
I did this brake upgrade in February of 2017 on my 2001 Suburban, which is my daily driver. It's now seven years later, and I'm about due for new brake pads and rotors. I don't know the exact mileage, but I believe it's somewhere in the range of 50k-60k more miles I've put on my truck since 2017. I used all PowerStop brake parts except for the pads. I used Wagner Thermoquiet Ceramics as I've had good luck with those when I had the original stock calipers, and outstanding results with them on other vehicles. I used the PowerStop "kit" before on this truck, and my wife's previous vehicle and I didn't care for their pads. They wore out fairly quickly, and they made a shit-ton of brake dust on the wheels. Back to the parts I used, in addition to the Wagner Thermoquiet brake pads, I bought the PowerStop red powder coated calipers and brackets for a 2008 Suburban. I also ordered PowerStop drilled and slotted rotors for a 08 Suburban. I also replaced the brake hours while I was at it, but I ordered a set to fit my 2001, and they mated to the 08 calipers with no problem. Basically everything all went on without any problems. I also replaced/flushed all the brake fluid. I noticed an immediate improvement in stopping power when I was done with the brake upgrade. When I did a very quick stop, the tires would now screech on the pavement for a second or so. I've never had it lock up the brakes that hard prior to that day. Do I think it was well worth it, hell yes I do! And now it's time to order more 2008 pads and rotors for old reliable 2001 that I've owned for 19 years now.

5x10

Reaction score
I was about to order a kit but went and looked at my current calipers, looks like they are double piston already , wonder if the prior owner already upgraded

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I was about to order a kit but went and looked at my current calipers, looks like they are double piston already , wonder if the prior owner already upgraded

The OE calipers ARE two-pot, and the overall diameter of the rotor is a hair under 12". The NBS rotors are right at 13" overall, with larger pads. Get out the measuring stick to see what you have.

1715607172582.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeSexingStick