Bad Trailer Sway/ 02 Yukon XL SLT. Changes to make?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't pull the car up so far. Really doesn't matter if it hangs off the back as long as the rear wheels are safely on the trailer.

ilmk123

Reaction score
Don't pull the car up so far. Really doesn't matter if it hangs off the back as long as the rear wheels are safely on the trailer.

I have a 2500 8.1 Suburban and pull a toy hauler travel trailer . You were given correct advice by a few people. You did not have enough tongue weight and you want up to 15% of your total weight on the tongue. By putting the car on back wards on the trailer, put most of the weight on the rear of the trailer and it made the tongue too light. You could add new shocks and it still would not of helped. Been there and done it! All difference is in a properly loaded trailer!

Idaho45guy

Reaction score
I towed everything I owned back in 2013 from Arizona to Idaho when I got divorced. I had a `97 1500 Suburban lifted with 33" tires and 3.42:1 gears and a pro-built 4L60E.

I took my flat-bed trailer and converted it to a redneck covered trailer and loaded it full of the stuff my nasty red-headed ex-wife didn't take (but I'm not bitter...).

I towed it approximately 1500 miles during the summer in temps from 108 degree to 45 degrees. And my radiator had a hole in it that I couldn't afford to fix before the trip, so it could only be filled 3/4 of the way.

Trailer weight was around 7800lbs and the whole thing was just over 13,000lbs on the scales.

It pulled beautifully and I kept it at 60mph or less. Not a single breakdown.

But... The rear-end developed a nasty whine around Southern Idaho. Was just too much weight for too long for that poor 10-bolt...

In the middle of nowhere, Nevada...

100_0419.JPG

Martinjmpr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WD hitch or not? I think 5300# is a lot of weight if you don't have some kind of weight distribution system.

I'll be pulling a ~3500lb trailer tomorrow up through Eisenhower Tunnel (11,000') and I'm not using a WD hitch but I do have airbags in the rear springs. Hoping that will be sufficient to keep my tail from dragging.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrLeritz