Autocal question?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VABURB

Reaction score
Is the Autocal tune basically a scan cable tune but your purchasing the equipment?

Also does the autocal perform other operations such as reading/clearing codes?

Last edited:

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you talked to Blackbear? I'm pretty sure these and many other questions are answered in the FAQ's on their website. The answer to the second question is yes. There are advantages to an Autocal, read up on it at www.blackbearperformance.com and if you still have questions, give them a call or Email. They are very helpful.

OP
OP
VABURB

VABURB

Reaction score
Blackbear seems to be regularly active here so I gave it a try although I planned on reaching out during there normal business hours, I've gone through there FAQS and there is no information pertaining to Autocal in particular and read through the description posted to there sight about it which does not explain the actual difference in equipment used for the scan cable tune and Autocal tune but im sure ill get answers when i call.Worth a shot

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you go to their website and click on "Tuning Services" they pretty much lay out the differences. The scan cable tune and the Autocal are different. With scan cable, you need to swap out the pcm after you log with the scan cable and email the file to them. They send you a tuned pcm to swap out and you send yours back to them for a core refund along with their scan cable. It sounds like a hassle to me but its way cheaper. I have the Autocal and it's so easy it's ridiculous. They have done 2 complete separate tunes for me and I can also swap between the original stock tune, an 87 octane and an 89 + octane tune in minutes. They can email your tunes to load onto the Autocal. With the scan cable, you can email the log file to them but have to wait for them to send you a tuned pcm, plus you have to do a crank relearn procedure due to the new pcm. Plus if I do any engine/ trans mods it's very easy to get a new tune and install it. Hope that helps answer your questions.

Edit: the Autocal can also show live data in real time in order to assist in troubleshooting, and BB will also let you log data if you're having trouble with your vehicle and you can send it to them to analyze. They offered to do that for me recently when I was having a random misfire/ stumbling but I figured it out. Like I said, they're real helpful.

OP
OP
VABURB

VABURB

Reaction score
yes thank you

Autocal is a stand alone unit
Scan cable requires a laptop and installing a program to store data while driving

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Scan cable won't install the tune into the vehicle computer (power train control module or pcm) . Autocal does. You still need a home computer or laptop with Autocal to transfer the tune file from email to the Autocal. With scan cable, Blackbear transfers tune into the pcm, then ships you the tuned pcm and you have to install the pcm into your rig, then do a crank relearn procedure to initialize the pcm. Autocal just plugs into your OBDII port and transfers tune directly into your vehicles pcm so there's no crankshaft relearn procedure, nothing to physically remove or install or ship back and forth.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's a member here selling his Autocal; you can save $100. Look in the classifieds. You'll still have to pay Blackbear $300 for the tune and license but he's selling the Autocal itself for $200. I'd check with Blackbear for sure on the cost of the tune and license but their website does say $300.

http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/efi-live-autocal.86517/

OP
OP
VABURB

VABURB

Reaction score
yea it does cost $300 im going to see if there going to run another black friday sale like last year might be worth wait thanks for help and info

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Looks like the guys here got you the answers you were looking for. Let us know if you have any further questions!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE

Latest posts