Autocal BB Tune

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Z71Psycho

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok so I just purchased the BB Autocal and of coarse I'm now in the wait mode. Prior to purchasing I searched the internet some to learn what I could about the setup. At this time my main interest is achieving fuel mileage. I must say 95% of the info I came across (including this website) was customers saying to buy the device or get a BB tune up. The unfortunate part has been with all those willing to recommend a BB tune up, very rarely does anyone share their real world results with the tune. Almost makes ya think the ones that received tune up's don't really know if or how the tune up benefited them. I saw one member of this site use his iphone app to log fuel mileage before and after, but that's about the extent of it. Seems like the majority say their throttle response is better or their shift points are smoother, but again beyond that this is about as far as it goes. When I see someone say something such as "buy it, you'll be glad you did", or "it was the best money I ever spent", I would think these are guys that really went the extra mile on knowing just exactly what their BB tune up did for them. If there is some good before & after threads on this site someone please point them out.

For any of you that has purchased and used the autocal, has any of you shared maps with one another? I realize the best option is a tune just for your vehicle, but I have had used up my free tune's that come with my autocal, I personally wouldn't have a problem trying someone elses tune up that was of the same vehicle with same mods but maybe a difference of a CAI or duel exhaust, ect. If I plugged in someone elses tune and it seem to show an improvement then I would look into getting a detailed tune from Justin. But I was just curious if anyone here had shared tune with one another.

Btw, I may post this same question on another site related to tahoe's so don't burn me if you see it. Just know that I'm someone that gets a little serious with doing mods is all.

Sierkonblazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To be honest, mail order tunes are never what 90% of the people ordering them turn out what they think it will be. I cant speak for all tuners, but most are very broad and generic parameter changes, which means not a huge gain in performance. Its a different story if the tuner can actual get in your car and tune while on the street or a dyno. That tune is custom to your vehicle, and your vehicle only, so every parameter will be specific to your mods and environment..

THE YETI

Director of Operations
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not so much. Justin tuned my silverado pre and post forced induction and was spot on! Can't speak for many others, but Blackbear knows what's going on...

OP
OP
Z

Z71Psycho

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Not so much. Justin tuned my silverado pre and post forced induction and was spot on! Can't speak for many others, but Blackbear knows what's going on...

How many tuned maps from Justin before you reached spot on as you call it?

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Frank, from the threads on this and other forums, typical is ~2 mpg improvement if you can restrain yourself :mexsmoke:... Don't expect a huge increase in power, it's more about driveability. In a vehicle with this much mass, a modest hp gain registers a bit on the butt dyno. It is about the whole package, modest power increase (timing, A/F, etc.), efficiency (less torque management), and shifting parameters (timing and firmness).

Not sure I understand this part, but you indicated you bought the Autocal, are in wait mode, but used up the free tunes. Please explain.

As far as sharing tunes, IMO do not because each vehicle is different even with the same mods. The important thing is the A/F ratio and timing, and if those are off it will either run poorly or potentailly cause some damage :Grenade:.

Steve, the BB Tune by mail is not a canned tune. Actual vehicle performance is logged and then evaluated by BB. Of course this method cannot beat the in-person or dyno tune, but it is a good alternative.

Last edited:

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The AutoCal is not the "typical" mail order tune, as it allows the customer to datalog their vehicle under different driving conditions. We then use that data to build a tune for their specific vehicle/mods/gas.

OP
OP
Z

Z71Psycho

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Frank, from the threads on this and other forums, typical is ~2 mpg improvement if you can restrain yourself :mexsmoke:... Don't expect a huge increase in power, it's more about driveability. In a vehicle with this much mass, a modest hp gain registers a bit on the butt dyno. It is about the whole package, modest power increase (timing, A/F, etc.), efficiency (less torque management), and shifting parameters (timing and firmness).

Not sure I understand this part, but you indicated you bought the Autocal, are in wait mode, but used up the free tunes. Please explain.

As far as sharing tunes, IMO do not because each vehicle is different even with the same mods. The important thing is the A/F ratio and timing, and if those are off it will either run poorly or potentailly cause some damage :Grenade:.

Steve, the BB Tune by mail is not a canned tune. Actual vehicle performance is logged and then evaluated by BB. Of course this method cannot beat the in-person or dyno tune, but it is a good alternative.

Zed, my question was not a real world question. It's just a question I used as an example. There probably isn't a good way to ask a question about using someone elses map. It's obvious each vehicle has it's own characteristics like cam degree, crank trim, ect, ect. And of coarse this is why a person should go with a tune for their own vehicle. So now conflicting with what I just said, I asked if anyone had used a map from someone with similar mods. Here's another example, say my neighbor and I both have the same vehicles with the same mods, both tuned by BB. However last week my neighbor installed a 40hp wet nitrous shot and had BB tune his application. I add the same 40hp nitrous mod to my vehicle, but I don't have a tune(map) for it yet, and say Justin at BB is on his honeymoon in Paris for the next 3 weeks, and I want a map to use until I'm able to get the real deal from BB.

So as I say, I understand vehicles having their own characteristics, but using a tuned map from someone else with the same mods is not like putting A- blood in someone with B+ blood. Now will this work until I get an actual tune?Yes. Would a tuner say it's ok to do this? Doubtful. And finally, do I mean any wrong doing with this? Absolutely not!

As for my use of the autocal I doubt I will ever use the tune allotment that comes with it. I think it comes with 4 or 5 tunes before you need to pay for additional tunes. I understand why there is a limit on the amount of tunes, but it does kind of suk considering the amount your paying for something with so much benefit.

I wish other autocal customers would share their experiences more. Everyone has something to benefit when that happens. Like a guy that tries different octane rated fuel, Or changes the rear ratio, or adds headers, and so. It would be neat to read the comparisons should they be shared.

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Do not use a tune file that is not for your vehicle. Aside from the specific tune items that are set up for your needs, unless the vehicles are identical (eg, all RPO codes are the same, same model year), you can and likely will have undesirable effects. You could see peripheral systems malfunction or stop working altogether by doing so.

As for the vehicle specific adjustments, they are done to dial the tune in as it is needed for that engine/transmission. In some cases, running a tune designed for another vehicle could work just fine. In others, it could cause your tahoe to run very rich or very lean, too little or too much timing.

THE YETI

Director of Operations
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How many tuned maps from Justin before you reached spot on as you call it?

He got it on the first time, everytime. Even without doing it in person, he had the AFR dead set for my FI setup. It could not have been any better, aside from a dyno tune (maybe).

When he did my wife's 08 Burban, he did it in person in NC. We did a few runs until we nailed it, but we were mostly going over shift firmness and what I thought would be best for my wife and the soccer Burban. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
k09viper