Anyone got the Black Bear AutoCal kit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
LurkingLuke

LurkingLuke

Reaction score
This is so long aho I forget the meaning. I procured the device, thank you

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have yet, to get justification, to spend hundreds of dollars, for a little bit better tune. I am not planning to read my 1320 foot result. My '05 XL drives fine, and not planning to gobble up gas by enjoying a speed improvement. Just an efficient performance while driving 'normal'. Is it worth the cost? I still don't know.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have yet to get justification to spend hundreds of dollars, for a little bit better tune ...
Is it worth the cost? I still don't know.
You sound pre-biased against it - almost as if you don't REALLY want to know ...
You've clearly never driven a vehicle before-&-after a tune - otherwise you'd not say
'little bit better'.
PCM tuning (ecm & tcm tuning for younger vehicles) is not ONLY for 1320-type enthusiasts.
Drag racing is wasteful FOR ME, but I appreciate objective measurements.

Speaking of objective measurements, I get BETTER MpGs since having my pcm tuned.
Though it can also be quicker than a typical '02 Tahoe Z71, when my foot gets down.
Usually, though, better MpGs, especially on the highway.

FYI, there are enthusiasts at the other end of the spectrum known as 'hypermilers'.
Once they re-learn how to drive to exceed gov't MpG estimates (by sacrificing time), they typically resort to pcm tuning to further improve their MpGs with greater consistency.

If your major concern is MpGs, mention that to the tuner.
You'd clearly be pleasantly surprised at how much can be done to tune YOUR pcm to suit YOUR tastes and goals (especially applies to vehicles that use our particular pcms).

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You sound pre-biased against it.
You've clearly never driven a vehicle before-&-after a tune - otherwise you'd not say
'little bit better'.
PCM tuning (ecm & tcm tuning for younger vehicles) is not ONLY for 1320-type enthusiasts.
I personally see drag racing as wasteful FOR ME, but I appreciate objective measurements.

Speaking of objective measurements, I get BETTER MpGs since having my pcm tuned.
Though it can also be quicker than a typical '02 Tahoe Z71, when my foot happens to get down.
Usually, though, better MpGs, especially on the highway.

FYI, there are enthusiasts at the other end of the spectrum known as 'hypermilers'.
Once they re-learn how to drive to exceed gov't MpG estimates (by sacrificing time), they typically resort to pcm tuning to further improve their MpGs with greater consistency.

If your major concern is MpGs, mention that to the tuner.
You'd clearly be pleasantly surprised at how much can be done to tune YOUR pcm to suit YOUR tastes and goals (especially applies to vehicles that use our pcms).
Great response..... I will give BB a call.......

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have yet, to get justification, to spend hundreds of dollars, for a little bit better tune. I am not planning to read my 1320 foot result. My '05 XL drives fine, and not planning to gobble up gas by enjoying a speed improvement. Just an efficient performance while driving 'normal'. Is it worth the cost? I still don't know.

I've always gotten 93 octane gas (multiple tuned turbo 4cyl & BMW V8 cars), so it made sense to optimize the tune for that octane, plus it made a big difference in the 6L80 shift patterns, plus the whole AFM disable thing.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've always gotten 93 octane gas (multiple tuned turbo 4cyl & BMW V8 cars), so it made sense to optimize the tune for that octane.
Plus it made a big difference in the 6L80 shift patterns, plus the whole AFM disable thing.
I remember when 91 / 93 octane gasoline were never more than 40 / 60 cents over 87.
I know for a fact that 91 octane shift patterns are more relaxed than 87 octane shift patterns.

Today 91 can cost over $1 more per gallon than for 87.
I find myself blending 87 octane with E85 to try to keep the valves cleaner.

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I remember when 91 / 93 octane gasoline were never more than 40 / 60 cents over 87.
I know for a fact that 91 octane shift patterns are more relaxed than 87 octane shift patterns.

Today 91 can cost over $1 more per gallon than for 87.
I find myself blending 87 octane with E85 to try to keep the valves cleaner.

Working from home helps keep the fuel consumption down. And, my phone plan has a gas discount (usually 10-15 cents per gallon) & 25cents off whenever the Bruins play.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019