Any non-buffeting Tahoes out there?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was hoping this was no longer an issue but there have been reports of 18s with buffeting problem. Someone posted elswhere recently they ended up returning their 2018 Tahoe due to horrible buffeting which was making them sick.

I am in the market of replacing our 15 yukon for an 18 but now I'm not so sure given complaints are rolling in with 18 models. seems ridiculous having to test drive many to find an acceptable one. Hopefully the affected ones are minimal compared to the 15/16 models.

Is yours buffeting? If not, stay with what you have...

ajs800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is yours buffeting? If not, stay with what you have...

yes, but we've been able to mask it for the most part. However, we've had a lot of other issues and being out of warranty, would rather jump into something new. I'm going to drive an 18 denali and 18 suburban premier this week. If both are not acceptable, I'm going to seriously consider the expedition even though I slightly prefer the looks and overall pkg of the yukon/burb. My biggest issue with the new expedition is the extended versions resemble too much of the Flex.

Last edited:

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes, but we've been able to mask it for the most part. However, we've had a lot of other issues and being out of warranty, would rather jump into something new. I'm going to drive an 18 denali and 18 suburban premier this week. If both are not acceptable, I'm going to seriously consider the expedition even though I slightly prefer the looks and overall pkg of the yukon/burb. My biggest issue with the new expedition is the extended versions resemble too much of the Flex.

I also read that the extended version of the Expy has noticeably less cargo room behind the 3rd row than the Burb/XL. From a specifications perspective I think it measures in at only 2 inches less but for some reason the configuration of the space against the 3rd row seat creates less usable cargo space in the Expy Max. This is just what I heard and I have not seen one in person, but if you go look at one I'd be curious as to what you think. 2 inches doesn't seem like a big deal, but several people have commented that its extremely noticeable.

(however the Expy has taken/robbed those cargo space inches and put them in 3rd row passenger leg room which may be helpful for some, but cargo room is also important for me personally).

mlgreen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really think some people are just more sensitive to the resonance/buffeting in these vehicles. The few Denalis that I test drove were early builds and definitely had a booming sound at low speeds over bumps. The best way to describe it is the turn on noise some subwoofers have. I’m pretty sensitive to these things so it was a no go for me.

Dear Friend, I hope that my post is helpful. I drive a 2016 GMC Yukon Denali. Previously, I drove a 2015 Cadillac Escalade. They both have the 6.2 liter engine. I "downgraded" to the 2016 GMC Yukon Denali because I wanted less bling. I can state that in both vehicles, I have never experienced the buffeting. However, I fully believe people when they state that they experience the buffeting. Even though my SUV is not marketed as a Tahoe, my vehicle is, in essence, a Tahoe with a more powerful engine. Ditto for the Escalade. I simply never experienced buffeting. Again, I do not doubt that others have experienced buffeting. The biggest difference between my 2015 Escalade and my 2016 Yukon Denali is the transmission. The 2015 offers a six-speed. The 2016 Yukon Denali gave me an 8-speed. I must now state that I regret my trade-in. The six-speed was a better transmission. The price difference between the GMC Yukon Denali and the Escalade is negligible. I regret my trade. I should have kept my 2015 Escalade. The only reason that I traded was that I felt that the "Escalade" was too blingy. One day I was sitting in Chicago traffic in my Escalade. A driver in the opposite lane motioned to me to "roll down my window." He asked me, "how did you make your money?" That question shamed me. I did not want to be associated with bling. I became ashamed of driving an Escalade. Perhaps the future vehicle that I will purchase will be a Tahoe with the 6.2 liter engine. I do not ever want to be "blingy." After that traffic incident, I got rid of my Escalade. I felt ashamed.
You made a lateral move at best because the Denali is just as flashy as the Escalade this generation in my opinion. Shame that you let people dictate you that much. I live in an area where 2015+ Escalades are driven by nothing but well to do professionals.

dlgammons

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Is buffeting the same as "shudder" My 2001 Tahoe LTZ has a vibration that is called shudder when the transmission shifts under light throttle. The recommended service was to flush the transmission fluid, replace with the GM specified fluid, and then add a tube of "shudder fix". Didn't fix the problem. My concern is will the transmission ultimately fail as a result of this problem.

ajs800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the buffeting is an issue with 15+ trucks and occurs during higher speeds 45mph+... it is different from vibration issues, low speed booming, and buffeting with windows down (which is very normal with many vehicles). Many lump these all together as a single issue.

clogan2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2016 Tahoe has no buffeting, but I personally buffet every chance I get.

I love those buffets...Golden Corral, Western Sizzlin'...YUM!

Last edited:

ajs800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was in a 2016 escalade today with 16k miles and it had the buffeting much worse than our yukon. Was horrible between mid 50s to 65mph.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also read that the extended version of the Expy has noticeably less cargo room behind the 3rd row than the Burb/XL. From a specifications perspective I think it measures in at only 2 inches less but for some reason the configuration of the space against the 3rd row seat creates less usable cargo space in the Expy Max. This is just what I heard and I have not seen one in person, but if you go look at one I'd be curious as to what you think. 2 inches doesn't seem like a big deal, but several people have commented that its extremely noticeable.

(however the Expy has taken/robbed those cargo space inches and put them in 3rd row passenger leg room which may be helpful for some, but cargo room is also important for me personally).

I thought the addition in legroom was due to their suspension redesign? The cargo space in the suburban and expy both clock in at 121sqft

Will have to see in person I guess.

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought the addition in legroom was due to their suspension redesign? The cargo space in the suburban and expy both clock in at 121sqft

Will have to see in person I guess.

That is definitely part of it. The Expy third row has both more leg room and is also taller from floor to ceiling (because of the independent rear suspension). Just having the seat sitting up higher provides more comfortable leg room, however, I'm referring specifically to the dimensions behind the second, and third rows. The maximum cargo volume behind the first row is about the same between the Burb and Expy Max (both 2nd and 3rd rows folded down). However, the Suburban's second and third rows are more compressed (crowded) forward, and the result is more cargo room behind both the 2nd row and 3rd row for the Burb. The flip side is that the Burb has less passenger leg room in the 2nd and 3rd rows. People have told me that BOTH are noticeable (that Expy has more leg room 2nd and 3rd row, but less cargo room behind the 3rd row, AND that Suburban/XL has less leg room but more cargo room behind 3rd row). I hope that makes sense...

Suburban/XL
Cargo Volume to Seat 1 = 121.7 ft³
Cargo Volume to Seat 2 = 76.7 ft³
Cargo Volume to Seat 3 = 39.3 ft³

Expy Max
Cargo Volume Behind First Row = 121.5
Cargo Volume Behind Second Row = 73.3
Cargo Volume Behind Third Row = 34.3

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member