Any non-buffeting Tahoes out there?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rex Kwon Do

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Minimal, but some, '17 Premier w/22" black. I can faintly notice it only because of this forum :D but my wife (it's her truck) has nary mentioned a thing. FWIW when the tires have been aired back at an oil change it seems to go away.

Side note about the person that mentioned not liking the 8spd......

So I have a '17 Silverado LTZ Midnight with 6.2/8. In between my old truck and this one I had 3-4 different Silverados on loan and test driving (close friend is a Chevy dealer, was getting a few things done on my new one)......mix of 5.3/6 and 5.3/8's.

The 5.3/6 is an absolutely archaic feeling drivetrain, no pep, just feels dated. Of course my 6.2/8 (with Borla black chrome exhaust ;)) really scoots but I was very impressed with the few 5.3/8's I drove. Loved the throttle response and was very spirited. Certainly that's not necessarily indicative of long term ownership but I like that combo infinitely more than the 5.3/6. Just my two cents.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Minimal, but some, '17 Premier w/22" black. I can faintly notice it only because of this forum :D but my wife (it's her truck) has nary mentioned a thing. FWIW when the tires have been aired back at an oil change it seems to go away.

Side note about the person that mentioned not liking the 8spd......

So I have a '17 Silverado LTZ Midnight with 6.2/8. In between my old truck and this one I had 3-4 different Silverados on loan and test driving (close friend is a Chevy dealer, was getting a few things done on my new one)......mix of 5.3/6 and 5.3/8's.

The 5.3/6 is an absolutely archaic feeling drivetrain, no pep, just feels dated. Of course my 6.2/8 (with Borla black chrome exhaust ;)) really scoots but I was very impressed with the few 5.3/8's I drove. Loved the throttle response and was very spirited. Certainly that's not necessarily indicative of long term ownership but I like that combo infinitely more than the 5.3/6. Just my two cents.

Some people are perpetually stuck in the past. Just honk at them in your sweet 8 speed as you drive by. I love mine. 6 speed is a dinosaur.

Pro tip: crank up some music produced after ‘79 to really piss them off and drown out their screams of ‘get off my lawn!’

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jason952

Reaction score
The 10 is amazing, keeps the 6.2 on boils and feels much faster and way smoother both upshifting but especially downshifting as the car slows down. Huge difference. They need to put it in all the truck like Ford did

dmad1

Reaction score
Quick background: had a 2005 Tahoe which rode great, I loved driving it but the transmission (should say transmissions because it was replaced multiple times) was a piece of garbage. 12 times to the service department for various issues, which became a beating so I replaced it with a 2013 Tundra. Now I’m considering going back to a Tahoe, specifically a 2018. Unfortunately the more I research the vehicle the more I see complaints about the buffeting/vibration/etc. Makes me question whether or not I should invest the time to even test drive one. Do they all have the buffeting problem and some people just don’t notice it? Is it noticeable right away or does it develop after a certain amount of miles? For those that have a current gen Tahoe, are you happy with it?
One of my sons purchased 3 new '14 1500s. 2 V8s and 1 V6 for his company. At around 20k/25k they all developed the drive line vibrations. Dealer gave up trying to fix them. He has since gone to Fords. My '17 Tahoe just turned 21k and I have my fingers crossed...

Garandman

Reaction score
I don’t like my wife’s 2016 Tahoe very much at all. If we didn’t have to tow a keelboat we would not own one. It tows 6,000 lbs well.

That said, for a body on frame SUV it is quiet and refined. We rented a Sequoia for a week before we bought this thing, and it is considerably more refined and gets better mpg.

In other words, no buffeting.

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome! If I wasn’t likely done with GM’s for a while I’d for sure get a 10 next!

I’m currently renting a new 2018 Expy, which of course has a similar 10 speed. I’m extremely impressed with the instant power, really in all speed ranges. It’s never hunting for gears, always ready to pour the power down, and never slows down. I am unexpectedly impressed with the engine. The interior is ok, the exterior is ok too, I still prefer the looks of the GM trucks, especially the exterior.

I’ve only had it for a few days into a two week rental, so I’ll have more thoughts later.

Last edited:

dmad1

Reaction score
My recently purchased '17 Tahoe LT has it also. I notice it more when I am in the passenger seat. Sounds like it is on the driver's side. No vibration as yet but have only had it up to 70 mph.

Slammed

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Glad I found this thread
I have a new to me 2010 Tahoe LT 128k miles and I've had to have the alignment done three times due to vibrations and reading this thread I now know it's not the rims and tires like I thought (new rims and tires) I was told its the gears in the rear end but I don't know

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne