Any non-buffeting Tahoes out there?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Samuraj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2010 Tahoe with 2015 wheels and conti tires I had vibration over 70 mph
Put new good year tires and problem solved
Just my 2c

jeffjcalweb

Reaction score
Hi all - Just returned from a 900 mile (round trip) almost exclusively freeway (California I-5 North/South and back) trip. This was the first trip of any significant distance since purchasing vehicle last week. It was perfect - no issues at all. Cruise control at 75mph and just flawless, very happy. So here's a vote in the column "happy Yukon owner and no buffeting issues".

OP
OP
U

UncleRico

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
In case anyone cares, I just test drove two different 2018 4wd Tahoes. One was a fairly basic LT and the other had the z71 package. Both had 18 inch wheels. The basic had Michelin tires and the z71 had Goodyear wranglers. First up was the basic LT. No question it had the buffeting issue, very noticeable for me at about 40mph on a bumpy road. It seemed to disappear once I hit 60+ on an access road (did not get a chance to drive it on a highway). My wife says she didn’t notice at all. The z71 had little to no buffeting on the same route.

Two things surprised me about the Tahoe, not in a good way. The first was that both felt really sluggish when trying to accelerate. The 4wd tundra that I’m currently driving has a 4.6L v8 and the acceleration feels much faster than the Tahoe. Is this normal? I don’t remember my 2005 Tahoe having this problem. The other thing was the incredibly tiny side mirrors. It’s like they were cut in half.

The dealer has the z71 priced at about 12% off of MSRP and the salesman claims that GM never offers more than the current 1,000 cash back rebate for hoes. True or no?

WillCO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The first was that both felt really sluggish when trying to accelerate. The 4wd tundra that I’m currently driving has a 4.6L v8 and the acceleration feels much faster than the Tahoe. Is this normal? I don’t remember my 2005 Tahoe having this problem.
The performance numbers between those two on paper are close enough to make no matter.

I always say that the most important car on a test drive is the one you drive up in, because you are going to immediately and profoundly notice the way the test drive car feels different from the one you are used to. Current Tahoes do have fully computerized throttles, and many have noted that the programming on the tip-in (the amount the pedal must be pressed to gain a certain % of available output) is a bit lazy.

Frankly, that may be true, but you would stop noticing it after a day or two of only driving that car. Tahoes are not underpowered.

jeffjcalweb

Reaction score
Tundra's also tend to have a pretty low rear end ratio...like 4.10 or 4.30 (doing this from memory forgive me if i'm slighlty off). this gives a bit more of a "feel its faster" when moving from a stop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9