Any non-buffeting Tahoes out there?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

UncleRico

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Quick background: had a 2005 Tahoe which rode great, I loved driving it but the transmission (should say transmissions because it was replaced multiple times) was a piece of garbage. 12 times to the service department for various issues, which became a beating so I replaced it with a 2013 Tundra. Now I’m considering going back to a Tahoe, specifically a 2018. Unfortunately the more I research the vehicle the more I see complaints about the buffeting/vibration/etc. Makes me question whether or not I should invest the time to even test drive one. Do they all have the buffeting problem and some people just don’t notice it? Is it noticeable right away or does it develop after a certain amount of miles? For those that have a current gen Tahoe, are you happy with it?

DaBigBR

Reaction score
This has come up a lot. I've had no problem with mine. I'm not sure if there is an "answer" from GM.

Sdog4127

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have owned a 2015 tahoe LTZ, traded for a 2016 suburban LTZ because of growing family. I also have a 2015 Silverado LTZ Z71.

I have never had a interior noise issue. These trucks are super quiet, way quieter than the GMT900 trucks. I think the sound suppression has added to People’s perception of normal noise. My pickup is so quiet that I actually hear the whine and shifting in my transmission. That’s all I hear, lots of white noise and some gear whine. Could never hear this before cause I would hear wind noise, tire noise and engine noise over everything else.
Long story short, neither my tahoe or suburban have caused noise problems. 100% believe these are the best large SUV’s on the market. The extra sound deadening, carpeted fenders, sound deadening laminated glass, and higher end soft interior touches have deadened most normal sounds, and I think, as a result, we have become more susceptible to certain lower frequency noises that could not be hard over all the other noises on previous models. I have heard some minor resonance in my Burban when at low steady speeds in 4cyl mode. Or at cruising speeds with a tailwind. The exhaust obviously has more vibration in 4cyl mode vs 8cyl mode. But I understand it and expect it. I would not ever consider it excessive, or causing sickness like some claim. I actually welcome a slight drone from my exhaust - that means my engine is under light load, and I’m getting 20+ mpg!
Side note: I put a diablo tune mpg tune reprogram in my suburban and it has woken the ***** up. Much more throttle response. I drive monthly out of state for Med treatment. 1,100 miles round trip. I constantly get 20-24 mpg overall on the trip. With a good programmer, these mammoth cars get the same mpg as a midsize suv. Oh and I don’t drive slow. 85 mpg in my state and 80 in the neighboring state.
Honestly I cannot say anything bad. About these SUV’s. HUGE capacity and I get same mpg as a smaller traverse on highway trips. Difference is I have two Blu-ray screens and my kids can walk around inside to get stuff out of bags or get me a drink out of the cooler.
Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have owned a 2015 tahoe LTZ, traded for a 2016 suburban LTZ because of growing family. I also have a 2015 Silverado LTZ Z71.

I have never had a interior noise issue. These trucks are super quiet, way quieter than the GMT900 trucks. I think the sound suppression has added to People’s perception of normal noise. My pickup is so quiet that I actually hear the whine and shifting in my transmission. That’s all I hear, lots of white noise and some gear whine. Could never hear this before cause I would hear wind noise, tire noise and engine noise over everything else.
Long story short, neither my tahoe or suburban have caused noise problems. 100% believe these are the best large SUV’s on the market. The extra sound deadening, carpeted fenders, sound deadening laminated glass, and higher end soft interior touches have deadened most normal sounds, and I think, as a result, we have become more susceptible to certain lower frequency noises that could not be hard over all the other noises on previous models. I have heard some minor resonance in my Burban when at low steady speeds in 4cyl mode. Or at cruising speeds with a tailwind. The exhaust obviously has more vibration in 4cyl mode vs 8cyl mode. But I understand it and expect it. I would not ever consider it excessive, or causing sickness like some claim. I actually welcome a slight drone from my exhaust - that means my engine is under light load, and I’m getting 20+ mpg!
Side note: I put a diablo tune mpg tune reprogram in my suburban and it has woken the ***** up. Much more throttle response. I drive monthly out of state for Med treatment. 1,100 miles round trip. I constantly get 20-24 mpg overall on the trip. With a good programmer, these mammoth cars get the same mpg as a midsize suv. Oh and I don’t drive slow. 85 mpg in my state and 80 in the neighboring state.
Honestly I cannot say anything bad. About these SUV’s. HUGE capacity and I get same mpg as a smaller traverse on highway trips. Difference is I have two Blu-ray screens and my kids can walk around inside to get stuff out of bags or get me a drink out of the cooler.
Cheers!

Shawn,

How many miles are on your rigs? The buffeting seems to happen and/or get worse around 30K miles.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Cheers!

Major vibration issues (though not on most vehicles) are a known issue in these vehicles and have been acknowledged by a GM technical Service bulletin (as well as multiple auto industry reports).

Vibrations are silent. Sound deadening has nothing to do with it.

I’m glad you’ve had a good experience (as have I) but respect those who paid $70k+ and have had to fight tooth and nail for resolution.

Rdr854

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 5100 miles on my Suburban and so far so good. My 16 at roughly 13000 miles and was pretty good. Just finished a long trip today and no one had any complaints unless I rolled down my window at 70 MPH.

We also drove on rutted roads which were frozen over from the snow and had no problems.

JWBGMC

Reaction score
Quick background: had a 2005 Tahoe which rode great, I loved driving it but the transmission (should say transmissions because it was replaced multiple times) was a piece of garbage. 12 times to the service department for various issues, which became a beating so I replaced it with a 2013 Tundra. Now I’m considering going back to a Tahoe, specifically a 2018. Unfortunately the more I research the vehicle the more I see complaints about the buffeting/vibration/etc. Makes me question whether or not I should invest the time to even test drive one. Do they all have the buffeting problem and some people just don’t notice it? Is it noticeable right away or does it develop after a certain amount of miles? For those that have a current gen Tahoe, are you happy with it?
Dear Friend, I hope that my post is helpful. I drive a 2016 GMC Yukon Denali. Previously, I drove a 2015 Cadillac Escalade. They both have the 6.2 liter engine. I "downgraded" to the 2016 GMC Yukon Denali because I wanted less bling. I can state that in both vehicles, I have never experienced the buffeting. However, I fully believe people when they state that they experience the buffeting. Even though my SUV is not marketed as a Tahoe, my vehicle is, in essence, a Tahoe with a more powerful engine. Ditto for the Escalade. I simply never experienced buffeting. Again, I do not doubt that others have experienced buffeting. The biggest difference between my 2015 Escalade and my 2016 Yukon Denali is the transmission. The 2015 offers a six-speed. The 2016 Yukon Denali gave me an 8-speed. I must now state that I regret my trade-in. The six-speed was a better transmission. The price difference between the GMC Yukon Denali and the Escalade is negligible. I regret my trade. I should have kept my 2015 Escalade. The only reason that I traded was that I felt that the "Escalade" was too blingy. One day I was sitting in Chicago traffic in my Escalade. A driver in the opposite lane motioned to me to "roll down my window." He asked me, "how did you make your money?" That question shamed me. I did not want to be associated with bling. I became ashamed of driving an Escalade. Perhaps the future vehicle that I will purchase will be a Tahoe with the 6.2 liter engine. I do not ever want to be "blingy." After that traffic incident, I got rid of my Escalade. I felt ashamed.

JWBGMC

Reaction score
I have no doubt that some Tahoes, Escalades, and Denalis are experiencing the buffeting issue. I do not know the cause. I personally have never experienced the buffeting. But I believe the car drivers when they say that they experience the buffeting. I can only recommend to try to record video/audio of the buffeting. For example, my 2016 Yukon Denali has a front-passenger seat that makes noise. The dealer has heard it. The dealer is unable - and unwilling - to repair it. GM is not sympathetic. At the end of my lease, I probably will get rid of my 2016 Yukon Denali. I do believe that GM knows about many quality problems for which it does not want to offer any compensation. I have a rather cynical view of corporate America. The MBA's rule GM. The engineers long ago lost the battle. Quality is of lower importance. Regarding the noise in my passenger seat, I note the following: (1) my 2016 GMC Yukon Denali has air-conditioned seats; (2) the 2017+ Yukon Denali has VENTILATED but NOT air-conditioned seats; and (3) my GMC dealer's repair department noted that the greatest number of complaints about noise in the seats come from customers who have air-conditioned seats. So here is what I believe: I believe that there is a noise issue in the air-conditioned seats of the 2016 Yukon Denali. I believe that GM "downgraded" in the 2017 model to "ventilated" seats, rather than air-conditioned seats. Again, this is one of those situations in which the MBAs rule. MBAs never care about quality. I have brought my 2016 Yukon Denali multiple times due to the seat-noise issue. The dealer has for certain heard the noise. One mechanic recommended that I always keep the seat in the lowest position. I was not pleased. My confidence in GM has most certainly decreased. My hypothesis is that one of the reasons that the 2017 Yukon Denali offers only VENTILATED seats rather than the AIR-CONDITIONED seats of the 2016 Yukon Denali is that there is a noise problem. I am cynical about GM's intentions. I have no doubt that GM's intent is to lower the cost of warranty repairs. I am 100% cynical about GM.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts