Amateur Scanner / Diagnostic Tool

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

YukonCrazy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As my 2008 Yukon ages, problems seem to come up more frequently and I would like to diagnose easier.

Is there a good tool that isn’t “professional dollars” that will help to diagnose issues beyond reading a code from a CEL?

For example, car is running a little rough but no CEL. Is that plugs or coil pack or dirty MAF? It would be nice to plug my laptop under the dash and read some useful data that would help in problem determination.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As my 2008 Yukon ages, problems seem to come up more frequently and I would like to diagnose easier.

Is there a good tool that isn’t “professional dollars” that will help to diagnose issues beyond reading a code from a CEL?

For example, car is running a little rough but no CEL. Is that plugs or coil pack or dirty MAF? It would be nice to plug my laptop under the dash and read some useful data that would help in problem determination.
Lots of guys here have the Tech2 which is what the dealer used for your rig. I’ve seen them around $300. Harbor Freight has a good lineup of readers for different levels of diagnostics the most expensive is $179 the ZR13. I went with this bc I have makes other than GM. Amazon has basic readers around $20. They can read the code and give you possible culprits. If you’re getting a reader get one that’s above your current comfort zone you’ll learn to use it pretty quickly.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Get a Tech-2. You can run graphs, save snapshots, see data saved from when codes were thrown, run every kind of test necessary to check things out and see everything GM intended for us to see with one AND you can program with it if you have to replace a module or want to add something not previously installed.

They pay for themselves in short order because they allow accurate diagnostics and trouble shooting.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the vxdiag (usb) $120 and a old laptop might save you a few bucks and should do most of the tech2 functions (tech2win)

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most guys get them from EBay. Make sure the seller has good ratings and has sold more than a few. James can tell you the current version but I think it’s 33.004 or 044. I didn’t go with it bc it’s only for GM vehicles. Wes’s idea is a good one too

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tech2 OBD2 is just the abbreviation for on board diagnostics 2nd generation

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barakawins