GM Tech2 is a versatile diagnostic scanner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if your going to buy from a sketchy website at least buy from one that is known to give you something for your money

NoNamesLeft

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
if your going to buy from a sketchy website at least buy from one that is known to give you something for your money
Um, website not exist anymore lol.

Figured this was a good a place as any to ask about the cables the clones come with. They SUCK! The Tech2 to CANDI connection is the worst and will not fully seat. It gives a loss of communication error if it isn't jammed together as far as it will go (which is just shy of the locking clip engaging correctly).

So what have other clone owners done about the cheezy cable connections? Any tips or tricks to make them engage better? Any reason not to permanently connect the Tech2 to the Candi module?

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Figured this was a good a place as any to ask about the cables the clones come with. They SUCK!
... Any reason not to permanently connect the Tech2 to the Candi module?
My cables do latch together, but if you touch it, it can release easily.

Regarding permanent connection, if you ever wanted to use the tech2 on an older vehicle where you don't want the candi module, or if your module goes bad and you need to replace it. Personally I wouldn't mind. But I would rather make the existing connection more secure as you suggest. That would be useful!

I might try and wedge something under the release tab so I can't depress it. Then large heatshrink tube or tape over the connection might keep it together..?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Figured this was a good a place as any to ask about the cables the clones come with. They SUCK! The Tech2 to CANDI connection is the worst and will not fully seat. It gives a loss of communication error if it isn't jammed together as far as it will go (which is just shy of the locking clip engaging correctly).

So what have other clone owners done about the cheezy cable connections? Any tips or tricks to make them engage better? Any reason not to permanently connect the Tech2 to the Candi module?
couple things,,,,,
yes the website that was up for years has been taken down, when you are selling copyright infringing products from all over the world eventually tha land sharks get to you, even in china. they still have the same name on ebay but do not offer the tech2 instead they sell the vxdiag which offers tech2win or gds2.
also when you buy a "copy" of a product for 1/10th the cost there has to be some shortcuts taken.

personally I have found that detaching and re-attaching the cables just before use seems to prevent communication errors, I do not use the clone every singe day for business or something in which case if I did I would seek out a legit product.

also as noted the website has sprouted up again under a different name.
it's a game of cat-n-mouse

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The connectors are the weak links in the product. They do sell replacement connectors, so you may want to look into them. @swathdiver I believe had issues with some of the connectors and resolved them.

AliExpress is where I purchased my Tech 2, and I've had no issues with connectors, so far. They sell all of the connectors associated with the Tech 2.

As mentioned above, copyright issues have prevented them from showing the entire Tech 2 as a sellable item, but if you contact them directly, they will sell you a complete Tech 2. Of course, you do not need an entire Tech2, but others in this Forum may be interested.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bent my little metal tab down a bit and I've never had a issue with the cables.

I guess hit or miss as most cheap China stuff is. China isn't actually cheap for good parts, it's only cheap if you bypass all the QC checks along the run.

but if you can't physically plug it all the way in. inspect your cable, something is probably holding it up and can be fixed. my plugs in fully and has stays pulled it. I pulled it out once while pulling it out of the obd port, looked at it, noticed the tab wasn't fully engaging, bent it down some and haven't had a issues since.

on a side note, I buy a lot of random China stuff, I've got broken in shipping and non working stuff a few times over the years. I've never once had a problem with them either sending me a new replacement part or just refunding my PayPal for the money. I can't say the same about US vendors. if shipping damages their stuff, it's on you to deal with ups or FedEx claims. which is a total hassle.

just send a pic of the cable not going in all the way, and they will probably just refund you or send a new one, which ever is cheaper for them

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

My Tech-2 saw near daily use for 5 or six years and eventually replaced everything but the Tech-2 itself. Stuff wears out. I read reviews on Amazon from GM dealerships and bought what they used. Some of the connectors I fixed with new metal bent to shape or customized a screw to hold them together when a rivet broke.

Right before attaching the Tech-2 to the car, I ALWAYS press in the connections to the CANDI and OBDII adapter. This prevents connection errors. OBDII adapters fit tight in some cars and loose in others, just the nature of the pins I guess. I keep a spare on hand and swap them out if one won't stay put and keeps falling out.

NoNamesLeft

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys! Unfortunately it is most likely a problem with the plug on the candi interface. The tech 2 cord plugs in to all but one of the adapters fine. One adapter and the candi connection stop just shy of being fully seated.

The cable connections being a problem was unexpected, but to hear they will likely be an ongoing issue is quite annoying. Every vehicle I’ll use the tech 2 on needs the candi. Before I force the screws on the candi module, has anyone pull a candi apart? Are all the connections straight through or are they crossover type cables?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019