Airlift bag dissapointment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vinniety

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last weekend i had to tow a car trailer for a three hour distance. During the first hour i had 27pounds of air in the rear air bags and the truck was riding smooth. After that it was a disaster. I was banging in the rear so bad the three hour drive became five becasue i had to go slow with hazards on. THe air bag on passenger side got a big hole in it.

My questions are:
1) Should i spray WD40 or a lubricant on the outside of the bags or just leave it alone.
2) I have 3 inch drop DJM springs in the rear is that a problem?

Who else is running these air lift bags and if so are you having any issues.

And last question can i buy just one bag separate?

jeffyrc

Bow Tie For Life
Reaction score
i have airlift 1000's on my ride. i also have it droped 3" in the rear. ive had mine in for alost a year and no trouble. are your helper bags the one's that go inside the springs? aside from that do you have an on board compresser or do you fill them up manually? i set mine up with a "Y" connecter between the air lines so i only have one air line feeding both of them. when you were towing was the rear end still sagging? i would assume the bag got pinched some how createing a hole. i wouldnt put anything on the bag, i would leave it alone. as for your last question, try to call AIRLIFT and tell them your issue. you might be able to get it swaped out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Vinniety

Vinniety

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have airlift 1000's on my ride. i also have it droped 3" in the rear. are your helper bags the one's that go inside the springs? aside from that do you have an on board compresser or do you fill them up manually? i set mine up with a "Y" connecter between the air lines so i only have one air line feeding them. when you were towing was the rear end still sagging? i would assume the bag got pinched some how createing a hole.

Jeff - the bags go inside the springs and i have it connected using a Y connector just like yours. I do not have a compressor i have to do it manual. How much pounds of pressure do you have in yours? Do you always keep it the same when towing and when not?
Picture010.jpg

jeffyrc

Bow Tie For Life
Reaction score
i generally keep about 10-15lbs of pressure at most in them when im not towing. did both bags deflate or just the passanger side? when i do tow i fill them up to about 35-40lbs or till the truck rides level, which ever comes first. im on a government computer and unfortunetlly it blocks me from seeing pictures.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Vinniety

Vinniety

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just the passenger side got the hole, must have gotten pinched but how i dont know. I always ride with 7-10 pounds. Do you spray the bag with anything to keep it lubricated in the spring? I guess i have no other choice but to purchase one bag and go from there. What a joke!!

i generally keep about 10-15lbs of pressure at most in them when im not towing. did both bags deflate or just the passanger side? when i do tow i fill them up to about 35-40lbs or till the truck rides level, which ever comes first. im on a government computer and unfortunetlly it blocks me from seeing pictures.

jeffyrc

Bow Tie For Life
Reaction score
well if the passanger side was the only one to deflate i would also say the air line is pinched as well. when i first put mine in the air line was pinched at the top. i had to make sure the top of the bag and air line plus the spacer (at the top) was installed correctlly. it took some messing around with but i got it. do you just have just springs (with the bags in them) or struts as well?

OP
OP
Vinniety

Vinniety

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well if the passanger side was the only one to deflate i would also say the air line is pinched as well. when i first put mine in the air line was pinched at the top. i had to make sure the top of the bag and air line plus the spacer (at the top) was installed correctlly. it took some messing around with but i got it. do you just have just springs (with the bags in them) or struts as well?

The air line is fine the bag itself got pinched maybe because it moved in the spring. I should have put about 35 pounds before i hooked up the trailer. I guess driving it to the local gas station with 7 pounds was not a good idea?? I really dont know but as of now i have 20 pounds and i took out the Y connected to make sure all was well with the drivers side one and its holding air fine.

Like i asked before do you spray anything on the bags or do you leave them alone. Someone told me keep the bag lubricated so it wont get stuck and crack, i guess that didnt work out, haha.

jeffyrc

Bow Tie For Life
Reaction score
Like i asked before do you spray anything on the bags or do you leave them alone. Someone told me keep the bag lubricated so it wont get stuck and crack, i guess that didnt work out, haha.

i havent put anything on mine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts