96 Yukon -can't open driver's side door

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

singletrackboy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Something broke inside clearly, but how can I get the door panel off to access the internals with it closed? Neither inside or outside handles work.

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, what a pain. Never tried it, but I'd try removing the panel from the inside. If you can get a c-shaped trim tool under the bottom edge and along the sides, you may be able to get the panel clips to disengage.

Pulling the seat would give more clearance, I guess.

Carefully breaking apart the outside door handle may be a last resort, and I'm not sure if it'd give you any better access. Hell, they're usually broken along the trim rings anyways.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cant you get the power window switches out, get to it like that? betcha door lock clip broke... how about trim ring around inside handle and trying to unlock it that way? Or pull the door handle bar that way?

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cant you get the power window switches out, get to it like that? betcha door lock clip broke... how about trim ring around inside handle and trying to unlock it that way? Or pull the door handle bar that way?

That's a good idea, didn't think about the lock rod. Definitely worth looking at.

I cannot remember how the handle attaches to the inner panel...maybe one rivet (or bolt if it's been replaced once before) and then kind of slides to the back and out to disengage?

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a good idea, didn't think about the lock rod. Definitely worth looking at.

I cannot remember how the handle attaches to the inner panel...maybe one rivet (or bolt if it's been replaced once before) and then kind of slides to the back and out to disengage?
Just throwing ideas out..

OP
OP
singletrackboy

singletrackboy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks guys, got it! Trim ring on inside handle removed, was able to pry on the tabs and barely had enough room to lift the panel up and out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adamnalicea143e