Door pulls open hard

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pooba

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2012 Yukon XL Denali and the passenger door pulls open hard (heavy). I have replaced the outside door handle and didn't get better. Is there something that helps it spring open before someone breaks the handle off, I have asked a couple of service garages and they replace the handle;e, Any input would be very grateful.
Thanks

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 2012 Yukon XL Denali and the passenger door pulls open hard (heavy). I have replaced the outside door handle and didn't get better. Is there something that helps it spring open before someone breaks the handle off, I have asked a couple of service garages and they replace the handle;e, Any input would be very grateful.
Thanks
It's not clear to me precisely what you mean. Do you mean pulling the handle to release the latch is hard, or do you mean that the door itself is hard to open once the latch has released?

If the former, then I would suspect binding in either the actuating rods or the latch mechanism itself. Try hitting the latch mechanism with some white lithium grease spray. If that doesn't work, then you'll need to remove the door card and get a look inside at what's causing it to bind.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon.

What @Geotrash said. You need to be more specific. The initial thread title leads me to believe that your door hinge area is binding. Has the vehicle been in an accident? The door handle only releases the door latch so you can PULL the door open. Are you saying that when you pull the handle, to open the latch, that the handle is hard to pull or the door itself does not feel like it actually releases? You may have a striker alignment problem, where the latch actually grasps. Are you saying the shops you took it to have not lubed anything?

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The rollers on the hinges on these things like to bind up and make it difficult to open and close the door, but not sure how that would be impacted by the handle. More likely it would cause you to break the handle pulling on it.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving clarifying questions from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

OP
OP
P

pooba

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It's not clear to me precisely what you mean. Do you mean pulling the handle to release the latch is hard, or do you mean that the door itself is hard to open once the latch has released?

If the former, then I would suspect binding in either the actuating rods or the latch mechanism itself. Try hitting the latch mechanism with some white lithium grease spray. If that doesn't work, then you'll need to remove the door card and get a look inside at what's causing it to bind.
To help with the explanation when I open the door it seems to not spring open. When you open the door and pull the handle and sits there when it should pop open a little. I'm not sure if it's the door latch or the springs on the hinges, I have oiled everything

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
To help with the explanation when I open the door it seems to not spring open. When you open the door and pull the handle and sits there when it should pop open a little. I'm not sure if it's the door latch or the springs on the hinges, I have oiled everything
Is it stiff when you close it as well?

solli5pack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hinge pins are a big point of failure. I've used a couple of these and the help quite a bit. And they're greasable.

Attachments

• 1000003537.jpg
    1000003537.jpg
    341.5 KB · Views: 5

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meandmyhoe20