2009 Yukon XL Denali - Rear Drivers Door Won’t Open

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We got the rest of the interior and exterior handles changed out today. Turns out it goes a lot faster when you have a little help! Get em' started young I say!

View attachment 408128

View attachment 408129

View attachment 408131

Had some more of those fun stripped door handle bolts! Rear drivers side was the only handle that had zero.

Here's some of the wrinkly chrome door handles we got rid of:

View attachment 408133

View attachment 408134

What did you do about the stripped nuterts?

OP
OP
KraftMatic87

KraftMatic87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really like the way the black handles look over the chrome. I think it will look much better once I get the chrome door trim off and eventually a set of some black GMC 20” rims. If anyone is ever looking to get rid of a set in the Denver, CO area please let me know!

IMG_1897.jpg

IMG_1900.jpg

IMG_1898.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
KraftMatic87

KraftMatic87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What did you do about the stripped nuterts?

WTF is a nutert?? :rofl: Soaked them in PB Blaster and let them sit for half an hour. Then applied dad strength torque to a set of vice grips on those boys and they usually came loose alright. I'll tell you there were moments where I was definitely getting a lil nervous. Luckily they all came loose!

IMG_1882.jpg

IMG_1885.jpg

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Soaked them in PB Blaster and let them sit for half an hour. Then applied dad strength torque to a set of vice grips on those boys and they usually came loose alright. I'll tell you there were moments where I was definitely getting a lil nervous. Luckily they all came loose!

View attachment 408138

View attachment 408139
ge
So what did you do re-use the old ones? Aren't they crimped to the body panel somehow?

OP
OP
KraftMatic87

KraftMatic87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So what did you do re-use the old ones? Aren't they crimped to the body panel somehow?

The door handle is only attached to the body with 2 10mm bolts. Reused those no problem but the issue was that the sleeve in the original door handle would become separated. It would just spin freely because its a round metal piece and doesn't really have edges.

IMG_1827.jpg

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The door handle is only attached to the body with 2 10mm bolts. Reused those no problem but the issue was that the sleeve in the original door handle would become separated. It would just spin freely because its a round metal piece and doesn't really have edges.

View attachment 408140

Yup I'm a dumb @ss thanks for the lesson LOL. :)

OP
OP
KraftMatic87

KraftMatic87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had just replaced all interior / exterior door handles a few weeks ago but noticed one of my rear lock actuators was not unlocking / locking on command. I ordered a Dorman OEM actuator and installed it. The door now unlocks and locks perfect but when I put the door back together neither the interior or exterior handle work! So now I cannot open the door at all.

I tried pulling on the latch for the exterior handle to open the door with the panel off, which has worked for me in the past but it didn’t work this time. Does anyone know how I can get this door open? I have an appointment at the shop next Tuesday if I can’t figure it out this weekend.

IMG_2385.jpeg
Pic of new actuator installed

IMG_2386.jpeg
Got the panel off the door despite it being locked shut and still can’t get it open. HALP!

Last edited:

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had just replaced all interior / exterior door handles a few weeks ago but noticed one of my rear lock actuators was not unlocking / locking on command. I ordered a Dorman OEM actuator and installed it. The door now unlocks and locks perfect but when I put the door back together neither the interior or exterior handle work! So now I cannot open the door at all.

I tried pulling on the latch for the exterior handle to open the door with the panel off, which has worked for me in the past but it didn’t work this time. Does anyone know how I can get this door open? I have an appointment at the shop next Tuesday if I can’t figure it out this weekend.

View attachment 410068
Pic of new actuator installed

View attachment 410069
Got the panel off the door despite it being locked shut and still can’t get it open. HALP!

So in my pic here the red line that should be up all the way and either of the green lines should open the door. Maybe the child safety lock is enabled?

IMG_2385.jpeg

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dorman is JUNK. You’re going to have to destroy the match to get where you can release it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz