$65 Phone Mirroring to Dash and Rear Screens

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WBHMSU

Seagal Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hosseface, thanks for great idea and work around. I ordered all recommend items you suggested only to realize I only needed one of the items. I only needed:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008FO7PQA

And

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009W9RXVO/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?ie=UTF8&smid=A3TG9YEWX61L6A

$30 + $7. Sweet deal. Also not so many wires in my setup and it doesn't need any power to work. Bad news is I have a USB power plug I don't need and another random mhl adapter I didn't need. My setup is component cables go to inside of console as well as converter and hdmi to micro hdmi out to phone. Nothing needs power. The phone I have is a BlackBerry Z30 with I love but that's for a different forum. Any questions feel free to ask. Thanks again for idea.

Any chance you can take pics of this setup?

WBHMSU

Seagal Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any chance you can take pics of this setup?

Just ordered these parts because impatient. Let's see if my dumb ass can replicate the results.

The good news for the rest of you is that if I can do it, surely anyone else can.

I'll report back with results.

imnohero

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I purchased and installed the smartphone mirroring from GM-navigation.com. It works very well. Mirrors phone onto front screen as well as rear screens (with option to turn off rear screens). Can use my google maps app and it displays on the screen. Also displays any video (Roku, Vudu, Slingbox, TimeWarner, YouTube) on all three screens. Uses an HDMI and USB connection that requires some soldering and wiring into the rear A/V controls. I love it. Costs more than $65 but results in a nice clean installation with HDMI and USB ports inside the center console.

A couple of questions:

How much was this setup?

Did you install everything yourself? If not, how much for install?

Does it use most all of the screens to display the image or does the image appear small on the screens?

WBHMSU

Seagal Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A couple of questions:

How much was this setup?

Did you install everything yourself? If not, how much for install?

Does it use most all of the screens to display the image or does the image appear small on the screens?

It costs $299 for the phone mirroring thing. My understanding is they send a kit out to you and you install it yourself. It's an additional $350-$399 for the video in motion unlocked HMI module.

More info in this thread:

http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71560

jl449

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just ordered these parts because impatient. Let's see if my dumb ass can replicate the results.

The good news for the rest of you is that if I can do it, surely anyone else can.

I'll report back with results.

I ordered the parts that Hosseface outlined on this thread with additional items for the face plate.
Hopefully you will post your install before i get started on my mine!! :)

WBHMSU

Seagal Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ordered the parts that Hosseface outlined on this thread with additional items for the face plate.
Hopefully you will post your install before i get started on my mine!! :)

I will definitely post up what I get figured out. Clarification, though, I ordered the parts from zolt's setup that I quoted. Seemed a little more straightforward, with less wires and no power source. Hopefully the parts arrive before Monday as I'm out of town for business most of next week and won't be able to tinker.

WBHMSU

Seagal Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got the parts from zolt's setup today and I went to install...brain fart. My phone (Galaxy S5) does not have a micro HDMI in. It has a micro USB. I casually mixed the two up in my head when I was reading his post.

So you need the RCA > HDMI converter but you are going to need a HDMI to USB 3.0 cable instead of a HDMI to micro HDMI cable if you have a Samsung phone. Similarly with an iphone you would need to find a HDMI to (whatever cutesy name Apple has for their iphone port) cable.

Here is the cable I ordered. In theory this should work. One ****** thing about this cable as opposed to the HDMI to micro HDMI cable is this one is powered by USB, as is the adapter. So I will have to utilize 2 USB ports to power this, likely the ones inside the console. I'm going to try to figure out a neat way to run all of this inside the console and get it hidden nicely. I'll update again.

http://www.amazon.com/Aibocn®-Adapt...02752&sr=8-5&keywords=hdmi+to+micro+usb+cable

and a link to zolt's adapter again.

http://www.amazon.com/Etekcity®-Com...ir_mobile_desktop?ie=UTF8&tag=viglink20600-20

PB&J

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Is anyone using sling box with this set up? While loading, it's full screen, then shrinks so there's about an inch margin around the entire picture. When I press the zoom feature, it shrinks again to a tiny bit in the upper left corner. I'm using an iPhone 6. It's operating in standard quality mode. HQ mode goes to letterbox

jl449

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finally got all my parts for the phone mirroring. The parts I got was:
1. HDMI2AV
2. EZ-cast M2 wireless mirroring.
3. MHL cable for Samsung S4
4. Keystone wall plate with HDMI and USB.
Total cost little over $50

The wireless EZ-cast (about 18 bucks) working pretty good. It does have little hiccups here and there but overall it works pretty good. I bought a MHL just in case EZ cast fails. Picture quality is ok not as good as playing it on USB or DVD but it will do. No green line on this HDMI2AV. This is a $18 AV2HDMI so no complains.
Now to mount the HDMI2AV behind the panel and install the keystone face plate for that clean look.

Video on the setup and some pics.

https://youtu.be/HLSlm4yTLlo

Attachments

• 2015-04-26_20-39-23_795.jpg
    2015-04-26_20-39-23_795.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 161
  • 20150426_132502.jpg
    20150426_132502.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 148
  • 20150426_133400.jpg
    20150426_133400.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 153