$65 Phone Mirroring to Dash and Rear Screens

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ebelp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same HDMI-to-composite switch. Works great with an Apple TV in the car. Once you have the Apple TV connected to your wifi hotspot, you can use the Air Play feature on your iPhone to mirror any video feed to the Apple TV. You can't, however, get full mirroring...just video.

Last edited:

fszatko

Reaction score
I purchased and installed the smartphone mirroring from GM-navigation.com. It works very well. Mirrors phone onto front screen as well as rear screens (with option to turn off rear screens). Can use my google maps app and it displays on the screen. Also displays any video (Roku, Vudu, Slingbox, TimeWarner, YouTube) on all three screens. Uses an HDMI and USB connection that requires some soldering and wiring into the rear A/V controls. I love it. Costs more than $65 but results in a nice clean installation with HDMI and USB ports inside the center console.

OmegaRoach

Reaction score
I purchased and installed the smartphone mirroring from GM-navigation.com. It works very well. Mirrors phone onto front screen as well as rear screens (with option to turn off rear screens). Can use my google maps app and it displays on the screen. Also displays any video (Roku, Vudu, Slingbox, TimeWarner, YouTube) on all three screens. Uses an HDMI and USB connection that requires some soldering and wiring into the rear A/V controls. I love it. Costs more than $65 but results in a nice clean installation with HDMI and USB ports inside the center console.
Pics please! I saw their option and was wondering what they offered to justify the cost.

fszatko

Reaction score
Pics please! I saw their option and was wondering what they offered to justify the cost.

The installation involves soldering 6 wires into the wiring of the rear entertainment system in the center console. Also required tapping into 12v power in the same area. Result is the HDMI and USB ports shown in the picture - mounted in the rear wall of the center console storage area. The kit comes with all the necessary cables/wires and instructions - including the lightning to HDMI/USB adaptor and cable shown in the pic for iPhone use.

I added the 90-degree HDMI and USB connectors, so the cables lay flat on the back wall of the storage bin.

I also added a 6' lightning extension cable so my kids can easily plug in their iPod/iPad in the rear seat and can run their own videos.

Total install took me about an hour. Need to know how to identify wiring and also strip/splice/solder carefully.

Sorry, I already closed up the center console. No pics of the actual wiring install.

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 194
  • image2.jpg
    image2.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 177

ebelp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That looks amazingly clean, well done! Wish we could see where the hidden solder points were and the tapped 12v. :(

OP
OP
hosseface

hosseface

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone done something similar to me using an iphone?

I just had a PM from a forum member inquiring about the same thing with an iphone6.

I unfortunately know NOTHING about iphones and couldn't help him out. If anyone has a list of what is needed for the iphone, post it up please.

Thanks!

jmitchell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hosse, I used your same USB power adapter and same HMDI to RCA converter.

I had an RCA to RCA 3' cable laying around as well as a 3' HDMI to HDMI cable laying around to use. Only difference in the setup for our iPad Air or iPhone 5S was this lightning to HDMI connector from Apple...

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-MD826ZM-Lightning-Digital-Adapter/dp/B009WHV3BM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1415739518&sr=8-1&keywords=lightning+hdmi

Worked perfect for full screen mirroring of the i-products mentioned above.

OP
OP
hosseface

hosseface

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hosse, I used your same USB power adapter and same HMDI to RCA converter.

I had an RCA to RCA 3' cable laying around as well as a 3' HDMI to HDMI cable laying around to use. Only difference in the setup for our iPad Air or iPhone 5S was this lightning to HDMI connector from Apple...

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-MD826ZM-Lightning-Digital-Adapter/dp/B009WHV3BM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1415739518&sr=8-1&keywords=lightning+hdmi

Worked perfect for full screen mirroring of the i-products mentioned above.

Thanks!

fszatko

Reaction score
That looks amazingly clean, well done! Wish we could see where the hidden solder points were and the tapped 12v. :(

Sorry. Forgot to take internal pics when I had the center console taken apart. Not planning to open it all back up again.

Burbin

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Will this mod work on 2013 model ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Demetris