4x4 wont engage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
raptorforme93

raptorforme93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you gotten the parts yet niterunnr? I want to know how yours turns out before I order up parts...

mash

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
hi
my 1998 2 dr hoe the 4x4 selector switch is very un reliable, most of the time there is no light, some times 2hi lights but it goes out soon after. it is shifting to low gear dont know if the wheels are engaged or not. no flashing of any lights, can some one help me with a little guide line steps to troubleshoot.

thanks a million

OP
OP
raptorforme93

raptorforme93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another guy had a similiar problem in the general section I think. its labeled something about his 4x4 not engaging. He just replaced the switch and everything was all good

96Yukonguy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i had the same problem on my 96 4 door i replaced it with a 4x4 Posi-Lok 600 system from summit.... 202.95 and no worrying about getting it wet or it coming unplugged

Provolone

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i cant get into 2hi

going thru the same just flashes.soon as i start the truck it goes to 4hi if i click auto it would go right in but then i would be able to hear it trying to engage here n there.then if i decide to enter 2hi 2hi would just keep flashing then all of the lights would disappear and "service 4wd" comes on....

OP
OP
raptorforme93

raptorforme93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so I finally got a chance to look at the actuators today (just look not take apart) and this is what I found. The rear actuator apears to be working great but the front actuator makes no noises of any kind at all so im assuming that its shot and is what is causing my problem. Also I took two pics of the actuators because Im just assuming that what I was looking at up front was the actuator.

Rear actuator that seems to work perfectly
photo2-3.jpg

Front actuator correct?? Makes no noise of any kind so im going to guess that this is why my 4x4 wont engage
photo1-3.jpg

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
You are correct. The t-case unit is a stepper motor actually.

My t-case works but my selected light blinks and no sound from the front. I should be replacing my actuator in the next week hopefully.

Rapto use the diagram below and put a fused 12v on the light blu wire of the actuator and ground the black to test it.

I would like to add that http://alldatadiy.com/about_alldata/index.html has a subscription for vehicle tech info major chains use it dealers use it and it cost less than $25 for the first year/vehicle. It contains very detailed info on everything the factory provide however while it will tell how to tear down a transmission for example with parts, fluid circuits and electrical diagrams it will not tell you how to change your oil. It's a lot of factory info.

I highly recomend it along witha haynes and chilton book. It is still cheaper than massive phone book sized manual set which I will get next year.

In the case of 4x4 there is over a dozen documents on diagnosis charts and theory of operation alone and they are all printable.

Mash, if you can provide a fax number I can send all the tech info I have printed so far on the 4x4 system include your attn: info for the cover sheet please. Rght now it would be easier this way.

As long as I have the time I will try to help everyone else. here is some examples:

View attachment 6638

View attachment 6639

View attachment 6640

View attachment 6641

Last edited:

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Sorry it will not enlarge pictures. Perhaps you can downlod the and resize?
Damn that doesn't work eathier.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia