4x4 wont engage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

raptorforme93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello Im new to the forum. I drive a 1996 2dr 4x4 Tahoe LT with 165k on the body and about 80k on a new engine and tranny. I have had the truck for just over a year and the 4x4 has always worked fine but I went to use it the other day after not using it for almost 2 months and it wouldnt engage. I press the 4x4 hi button and you can hear it click over like its going to engage but the botton just blinks and it doesnt engage. I tried it several times going into 4x4 hi and low but neither engage and I also tried to get it to engage while rolling forward at idle. Any ideas of what it could possibly be or any similiar problems? All input is appreciated! Thank you

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
a buddy of mine told me it's a simple elctronic actuator in the top of the axle...like an $85 part?

OP
OP
raptorforme93

raptorforme93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did he have a similar problem? I hope its not a big problem. Id like to get it working again

crmzendrgone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like it is the actuator easy install but it could be the one on the tcase itself. pull the one out of the front axle and have some one press the buttons if it moves than it is the one on the tcase if not then that is the one you'll need to replace. 90% sure it is the front axle actuator.

OP
OP
raptorforme93

raptorforme93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright Ill try to look at it this weekend. You dont think that its anything serious? Thank you for the help!

niterunnr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
S.E. OKLAHOMA but trying to move back to TEXAS
im having the same problem on my 98 hoe... ebay has that actuator for 78 bucks.. thats the cheapest i can find... bought mine yesterday and when i comes in ill let you know... also bought a new switch just in case... i took a small brass bushing and put between actuator and front diff. housing just to get my 4x4 working... it works fine with is but i dont drive it very far....mine is the big electrical one that has 4 wires on it.... o"rielly wanted $120 for it.. monster had it for 90... search ebay real good and eventually youll find one for 78

OP
OP
raptorforme93

raptorforme93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let me know if that fixes it niterunnr and Ill check out my 4x4 on monday when I have some free time. I also have to take apart my dash to rewire my stereo so that will be a fun day. haha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz