3rd cat ran away

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

01Cummins

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just removed the 3rd cat on 2014 Denali exhaust. No sound difference from stock and cant tell if it added any power. Still passes emissions out the tail pipe. Just thought I would share.

CrashTestDummy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BUT it won't pass a visual. Unless you live in Kalifornia, you're probably not in danger, but it is not legal to remove it if you drive the truck on the roads.

Just a point.

nick2440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How are you not throwing a CEL . Are you using an o2 sim? Or did you remove the resonator?

Goodinblack

I Like Tacos
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Removing cats does not have the same effect as in the old days. Today they flow well.

OP
OP

01Cummins

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I own an Exhaust shop, yes the cats now a days flow excellent. There is a smog shop just around the corner and I had them test it out the tail pipe and it passed. Even passed the visual. The computer tells the smog tech that the car has cats. Does not specify exactly how many cats to look for. The smog tech checked where the 02s where and there was 2 cats in before the 02s. So it passed visual in Kalifornia and tail pipe test.

No check engine light cause there is no 02 sensor behide the third cat.

Maybe a tinny bit of more sound out the back, but I cant really tell. I just like the fact that there is one less thing in the exhaust to restrict the flow. Not sure what the purpose for the cat is, but on a brand new rig with less then 1000 miles on it runs clean..

nick2440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK that makes sense. The primary cats must be doing a pretty good job cleaning up the exhaust gas and even though the 3rd cat is gone it still passed the smog test out the tail pipe. Good to know!

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
Dammit I coulda bought a flipped nnbs abd it woulda had 3 cats!:(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J2PDeweese

Latest posts