2017 or wait for the 2018?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rdr854

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My LS is an 8 passenger version. As compared to my 08 1LT, I am missing the auto dim rear view mirror and fog lamps. But, the 17 LS has Apple Car Play infotainment, rear camera, limited slip/locking diff, fold flat third row seating, nicer interior fit and finish, six speed automatic transmission, under floor storage in the tail gate area, more 12-volt plugs and USB connectivity. My LS also has the optional front tow hooks and safety package (the latter of,which was the reason I bought the truck I did).

When I put both trucks side by side, I think the 17 is a vast improvement over my prior 08. Would I like heated seats and an auto dimming mirror -- yes, but for me it was a trade off on price and my wife's dislike of leather seats in the Summer. And, based upon the reason for the purchase, our Suburban is not being used as a daily driver.

Enjoy your new truck and use it in good health. It looks very nice in the pictures. In 16, my two color choices were Silver and Tungsten and I can tell you that it was a very hard choice.

Protect1989

Reaction score
Fozzi58, What are the "Buyers Guides" thread that you referred to in your post? There are a variety of different threads talking about different aspects of the purchasing process but I have found one specific "Buyers Guide"

Protect1989

Reaction score
I sent out an email to Jalopnik (automotive website for those who dont know) asking about the 10 speed and what information they had. This is the response I received:

"Going from a six-speed to a ten-speed is not likely to yield a massive fuel economy benefit. Look no further than the F-150 for proof of that (Ford and GM co-developed the 10-speed). The '17 model F-150 3.5L EcoBoost does manage about 1 MPG better than the '16, but that's also a product of engine tweaks, not just the added gears.

I drove a 10-speed Raptor recently, and I thought the transmission was decent, but a bit quirky to shift at times. "

Not a ton of new information but confirmation that the 10 speed isnt likely to increase MPG by a whole lot, maybe 1 mpg.

So now it comes down to preference and price. See what sort of offers GMC announces to try and move remaining 2017 BUT have a vehicle that is technically 1 year old already OR wait and get the 2018 but roll the dice with the reliability of the 10 speed transmission.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nyc2011Denali