2017 or wait for the 2018?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Protect1989

Reaction score
Then my dealership is either playing dumb so that I buy a 2017 or are actually dumb. Either way doesn't really bode well for them

ktpinnacle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have black, grey, red and black sedans all with dark interiors. My govt car is light blue with a dark interior as well. It always seems that the govt car is just as hot as the others. I thin the dark interior has more of an impact than the exterior color. Of course, I'm in the mid-Atlantic and do not have tinted windows beyond what is standard from the OEM.

My business partner worked at a Toyota dealership in Phx years ago. Times were slow, so they decided to run an experiment on the effect of car paint color on interior temperature. They used the same car type (Camry) and cloth interiors. They placed the thermometers on the seats out of direct sun. They found that the only color that made a difference was white. The rest were hotter, and their red car was actually slightly hotter than the black one. FWIW.

rjrdomer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Its beautiful but it is more "plain-jane" than my '08 Avy. Not even fog lights and the window sticker has a -$250 option for the front bench. lol After 72 hours I am not happy with the radio. The Android Auto is a cool feature but it is PITA to get loaded sometimes. Gonna try attaching a USB stick into the valet port behind the screen. I am hoping I can browse by folder rather than title-artist-album because finding the music I want to hear sucks. They better get Waze ported to AA soon cause Google maps is bleh.

I read this thread late and was going to suggest Pine Belt in Lakewood. They tend to keep some 2WD Suburbans in stock for the local Orthodox community that need them as people haulers first and foremost. Glad you went there and found what you were looking for! Use it in good health!

OP
OP
fozzi58

fozzi58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I read this thread late and was going to suggest Pine Belt in Lakewood. They tend to keep some 2WD Suburbans in stock for the local Orthodox community that need them as people haulers first and foremost. Glad you went there and found what you were looking for! Use it in good health!
Thank you. I got a good deal for me and the truck is growing on me quickly. I'm baby-ing the go-pedal and even with the traffic on the GSP I am getting over 25mpg highway so no complaints and its got decent get up and go . So far I have been able to keep my "last 50 miles avg mpg" over the 19mpg mark with the daily commute back in slow traffic and around town. That's even better than my 08 Avy and I had an Edge programmer installed that was set to "Economy".

The suspension is stiff...really stiff...very minimum body roll, which I like cause it handles all the better and will improve that much more with TBSS's 2/4 drop, some stiffer sway bars and a wheel/tire package. And as many others have said on here, for a big truck, it drives very small. It seems to love to whip around corners.

I HATE the outside mirrors. I feel myself moving my head up and down trying to back into my driveway. I def see the Esky mirror mod coming even if I can't find someone to help me with the upfitters guide to get all the other options working. The larger mirrors would be a huge improvement. The power fold and blinkers would be a nice add on but the size of the mirror alone would be an improvement. Its too bad I can't get a set of mirrors from the last gen and put them on.

Still not too fond of the infotainment system but there is a lot of integration between the dash and the head unit that I am afraid of losing if I put in an aftermarket head unit. But I need a better sound system. The bass is breaking up at 75% volume and that is NG in my book. I also discovered that a SanDisk 64GB USB 3.0 stick wont work plugged into the USB ports. Ordered 2 new 32GB sticks - one usb2 & the other a usb3 to see which one the truck likes. The stock system won 't let you browse by folder to the phone when connected over USB or BlueTooth, so keeping the music on the phone isn't an option. It only lets you browse by artist title genre.

The seats are night and day difference between my 08 Avalanche and this truck. WAY more comfortable driving in the '17. A family vaca to florida in the new Burb would be a cakewalk....and my girls love the wifi. While my truck is a far cry from being "loaded" there seems to be little things I discover on a near daily basis which is nice.

rjrdomer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you. I got a good deal for me and the truck is growing on me quickly. I'm baby-ing the go-pedal and even with the traffic on the GSP I am getting over 25mpg highway so no complaints and its got decent get up and go . So far I have been able to keep my "last 50 miles avg mpg" over the 19mpg mark with the daily commute back in slow traffic and around town. That's even better than my 08 Avy and I had an Edge programmer installed that was set to "Economy".

The suspension is stiff...really stiff...very minimum body roll, which I like cause it handles all the better and will improve that much more with TBSS's 2/4 drop, some stiffer sway bars and a wheel/tire package. And as many others have said on here, for a big truck, it drives very small. It seems to love to whip around corners.

I HATE the outside mirrors. I feel myself moving my head up and down trying to back into my driveway. I def see the Esky mirror mod coming even if I can't find someone to help me with the upfitters guide to get all the other options working. The larger mirrors would be a huge improvement. The power fold and blinkers would be a nice add on but the size of the mirror alone would be an improvement. Its too bad I can't get a set of mirrors from the last gen and put them on.

Still not too fond of the infotainment system but there is a lot of integration between the dash and the head unit that I am afraid of losing if I put in an aftermarket head unit. But I need a better sound system. The bass is breaking up at 75% volume and that is NG in my book. I also discovered that a SanDisk 64GB USB 3.0 stick wont work plugged into the USB ports. Ordered 2 new 32GB sticks - one usb2 & the other a usb3 to see which one the truck likes. The stock system won 't let you browse by folder to the phone when connected over USB or BlueTooth, so keeping the music on the phone isn't an option. It only lets you browse by artist title genre.

The seats are night and day difference between my 08 Avalanche and this truck. WAY more comfortable driving in the '17. A family vaca to florida in the new Burb would be a cakewalk....and my girls love the wifi. While my truck is a far cry from being "loaded" there seems to be little things I discover on a near daily basis which is nice.

I agree, the mirrors are small. I have a 17 Tahoe, also purchased at Pine Belt and it's my wife's primary car. I drive an '02 Yukon. The mirrors are tiny compared to my Yukon but the truck sits a little wider so maybe they did that because people complained it was too wide for their garage. I don't know. My wife had an Audi Q5 prior to the Tahoe and the mirrors on that were massive. I find the infotainment system to be intuitive and great, especially comparing it to the Audi's MMI with their stupid knob. You needed a PhD for the Audi system and its voice recognition was awful. You'd tell it to take you to New York and it would pull up a random town in Idaho.

Comparing it to my '02 Yukon SLT, which is pretty well equipped and was a solid ride for 2002 (I purchased used a few years ago), it's a night and day difference. Ride quality, body roll, handling, turning, seat comfort...much better in the new Tahoe. Also noise. I find the cabin to be well insulated and very quiet in the new truck vs the old one. I'm sure it will loosen up over time, but I can actually talk to someone while driving and I don't have to shout.

Rdr854

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the 8 pass 17 LS Suburban that I bought last month. It is much more comfortable than the 15 LTZ I was renting. I have been able to take the 17 LS on a trip from Washington, DC to Norfolk, VA without having to stop. The fuel mileage is also good - although not as good as a hybrid car. I'm also impressed by how well the base LS Suburbans are equipped when compared to the 1LT in the prior gen Tahoe/Suburban.

While the Suburban is a great people hauler, it's an even better cargo hauler -- especially for those trips to deposit kids at college.

Protect1989

Reaction score
I am ready to pull the trigger on a new Yukon Denali today. So here is my question.

It is already July. Is it smart to:

A) Wait for the 2018 to arrive on dealer lots as its only a few months away

B) Grab whatever deals I can and avoid the issues caused from a new 10 speed tranny as opposed to the 8 speed.

Any advice of guidance is truly appreciated. Thank you.

Rdr854

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am ready to pull the trigger on a new Yukon Denali today. So here is my question.

It is already July. Is it smart to:

A) Wait for the 2018 to arrive on dealer lots as its only a few months away

B) Grab whatever deals I can and avoid the issues caused from a new 10 speed tranny as opposed to the 8 speed.
Comes relevant

Any advice of guidance is truly appreciated. Thank you.

It depends . . . The first question is which transmission do you want. If the 10-speed is a show stopper for you, them get the 17. If it is a requirement, get the 18. If you don't care, then look at which will give you the best value and which will best meet your needs. One thing to keep in mind when considering a vehicle on the lot is the build date. This becomes relevant if there is ever an insurance claim since most insurance companies will try to force you to use after market parts after a vehicle is a certain number of months past its production date (usually 12-18 months).

Finally, when you, get your truck, enjoy it and don't second guess yourself. Been there, done that. Not worth it.

OP
OP
fozzi58

fozzi58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Protect - this was my first new car purchase and I got a good deal for me by taking a '17. The other option was to drop an order in for an '18 or wait and hope a dealer somewhere else in the country would be willing to do a swap. However, I was not getting the deal I got on an ordered unit. You will most likely save a lot more by taking the '17.

Check out some of the other threads about purchasing. There seems to be a dealer in Illinois that the GMC buyers base their prices on...Laura GMC I think? Then use the car buyers guide threads. They were helpful.

Can't speak to the 10 speed. I know the Tahoe RST is getting it. Not sure if the Denali or Esky are getting the 10 speed but according to other members on the board the '18 Yukons have no changes between them and the 17's. Check out those threads.

.....I'm also impressed by how well the base LS Suburbans are equipped when compared to the 1LT in the prior gen Tahoe/Suburban......

You got lucky then cause there isn't a thing in my truck. My front bench is a -$250 option, which is perfect for me, but its bare-bones for everything else. My rear view mirror doesn't even dim so I am looking at Gentex mirrors. A little disappointed in that manner but it does leave me lots of room for improvement. Rostra heated seats, Gentex Mirror w/ lcd and dual cam, esky outside mirrors....I have a growing list somewhere!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645