2017 or wait for the 2018?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fozzi58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm new here but jumped on a few threads. I was originally looking for a used 2016 with low mileage but everything that is 2WD is in Florida, Texas, or CA and shipping a Burb or YukXL is very cost prohibitive (like $1600). I don't feel comfortable flying into to a dealership one a 1 way ticket and driving it home, plus it defeats the low mileage, especially from CA.

There are about 4 2WD Burbs in Jersey and the dealerships have them decently discounted because most East-coasters are brainwashed into thinking they need a 4wd for 12" snow a year. The most off-roading I have done is a gravel parking lot and if you have seen some of my other posts then you know I am looking for an 8 passenger pavement pounder. I haven't found a 2WD XL yet. Still looking....

Thanks to all of you, I have been educating myself on the 15+, the buffeting issues and what to look for in a new vehicle, options etc.. I even viewed Lauragmcbuick's site hoping for a deal on a 2wd XL but they only have 4wds in stock.

Now I have been digging deeper into the info available and I keep coming across speculation that the 2018's may get the 8 speed attached to the 5.3L but there is nothing concrete. I don't know when the end of ordering is for 2017 model or if its even worth waiting. I will probably miss out on a decent deal for a new 2017 by waiting for the 2018 and I run the risk of being stuck with the 6 speed anyways.

Anyone have any insight? Worth the gamble? You're opinions are appreciated even if they run counter to what is in my head. Thanks.

Glocksub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For chevrolet tahoes and suburbans, the ability to order a 2017 has passed as of the first week of June. I have no idea if the same dates apply to GMC.

I'm in the southeast and there are no shortage of 2wd models in GA/TN and the Carolinas, FYI. I can't help much with a GMC dealer I'd recommend, but I can with Chevrolet.

I had originally planned on waiting until the end of the year for a seriously discounted 2017, but given that I knew I was going chevrolet and then when learning of the 2017 order cut off, I realized there would be little if any 2017's to choose from in December. And, I haven't had any dealer confirm if the 8sp would be available in a trim level for 2018 models aside from the new Tahoe RST or the GMC Denali/Cadillac. So, if I'd waited until Dec I would have likely ended up with a 2018 that would be basically identical to the 2017's sitting on lots today, and I'd have paid more for it too. It wasn't worth it to me.

Last edited:

Blueinterceptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll offer an opinion too. Unless you are opposed to 4wd because you don't want to have the expense of fixing it, you are selling it short. The n/e can can get several storms a year that have 12" plus of snow. In my opinion you don't appreciate 4wd until you need it or have used it.
That being said, the 18s appear to be the same sans the rst versions.
I'm turning in a ltz burb with 36-38 k on the clock. Near mint in NYC in august or so

OP
OP
fozzi58

fozzi58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@glock - Thanks for the info. I actually was in another thread and read your post about the 17's being unavailable to order already. So its either find what I want or wait to order an 18 and loose out on any discounts.

@Blue - opinion appreciated. the NYC tri state area does get hit hard occasionally by the white stuff and I have appreciated the 4wd. However, I also drove a 2wd Ram 2500 for 8 years and for the last 9 years a 2wd Avalanche and I have not gotten stuck with either in any of the conditions we've experienced. The only 2 times I absolutely needed to be somewhere in one of our mega storms over the last decade I took the wife's GMC Envoy 4x4 a while back and more recently this winter I jumped in her Buick Enclave AWD.

And I must add the Envoy was an absolute BEAST in the snow. So I do appreciate the 4wd but I can't see dragging it around with me all year for a couple of heavy snowstorms per year, especially when a majority of the performance shops all have 2WD for test sleds (Hennessy, Lingenfelter, etc).

That being said, everyone has different tastes and opinions and they are all appreciated. Thanks for the responses.

jac1304

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The problem I have found for myself is wait for 2018 or buy a 2017 for less money...then I think if I buy a 2018 should I have waited for a 2019 redesign. There really is not a right answer just make the best choice for yourself with the information you have at the time..

Protect1989

Reaction score
Are they redesigning the Yukon for 2019? I thought that the full redesign wasnt until 2020/2021

Protect1989

Reaction score
They are bringing on the 10 speed tranny for '18. Is there any cause for concern with this? Meaning would it be better to get the tried and true 8 speed that is offered on the '17 or is the ten speed a non-issue and vast improvement?

jac1304

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My thought wasn't they were definitely doing anything 2019; it was just the idea of get a 17 or 18..I like most don't want to drop 65 to 80k and have it redesigned the very next year. For all of us this is a large financial decision and we're all just trying to look for the best time to buy.

OP
OP
fozzi58

fozzi58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I ended up biting on a decent deal. I picked up a 2WD LS Burb in silver. It is the base of the base and I even got my front bench instead of full console. Paid $45,400 before taxes. Its a decent deal and I probably would not have gotten a better price if I had waited and most certainly have paid more for ordering an '18. Its my truck now so now its time to make it mine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btheboyscout