2008 Yukon Denali, 135k miles, part 2!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looks good man, you going to keep the stock cat back?
kept mine, zero drone... pretty subtle but still barks when you get into it

OP
OP
T

tgui

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looks good man, you going to keep the stock cat back?
kept mine, zero drone... pretty subtle but still barks when you get into it

I already cut the resonator off but still have the rest of the stock cat back. I'll give it a shot especially since you and others say it might sound good without drone! If not I have my eye on a borla muffler.

I wish I had more than 30 min to an hour free here and there to work.

OP
OP
T

tgui

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried to fit the piping to tie the headers to muffler portion of the exhaust. I need to drop the transmission cross member to do so. Next to the ypipe, the 2nd most hated thing for me is dropping a cross member.

I suppose one could leave the headers unbolted to get it all done without dropping the cross member but that would be even more a pain in the ass to balance all that piping, headers, getting everything in place for gaskets, O2 sensors, and header bolts.

I did however get the passenger side header almost all done.

Slow progress. I have tomorrow night and Sat to get it done "hopefully".

Boring posts. I guess this thread is more of a journal for me. ;)

OP
OP
T

tgui

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Question: I have 1 spark plug wire that touches the header no matter what I do. What do? Heat shielding? Custom short wire?

Spark plug is fully seated. I tested. 2nd from left.
hFfHJWz.png

OP
OP
T

tgui

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wrapped some aluminum foil around the touching spark plug wire.

Then I tested the engine with open headers. HOLY SHIT LOUD BATMAN!!

I figured my wife would run down to tell me to cut it out. Turn out she thought it was an explosion and ran out with phone in hand to call 911 and almost in tears. I also scared the shit out of my cats. Mission accomplished?

Quick test:

Full test with revving. Had to put on ear protection. My head was still ringing for an hour or so. My wife out walking a block away said it was so loud I made a kid cry. I also got some really nasty looks from neighbors. Never again, but I had to do it once. ;)

I need to adjust the passenger header as the O2 sensor is hitting the under body. THEN I can drop that ******* cross member.

Is this the longest header install ever? Its been a ***** of a time.

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"...open headers test" :lol:

prob going to have to get a different set of wires, i had the fiberglass sleeves on mine and even with those it burnt through the cable inside them, msd makes a set that the boot can be formed and keeps them away pretty good, i got the set "for trucks" and they're long as shit i actually have the 45 off the coil pointed up on some of them.
driverside o2 sensor - make sure you tyrap the cable going to it up and tight, mine fell and rubbed thru on the front driveshaft

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
I wrapped some aluminum foil around the touching spark plug wire.

Then I tested the engine with open headers. HOLY SHIT LOUD BATMAN!!

I figured my wife would run down to tell me to cut it out. Turn out she thought it was an explosion and ran out with phone in hand to call 911 and almost in tears. I also scared the shit out of my cats. Mission accomplished?

Quick test:

Full test with revving. Had to put on ear protection. My head was still ringing for an hour or so. My wife out walking a block away said it was so loud I made a kid cry. I also got some really nasty looks from neighbors. Never again, but I had to do it once. ;)

I need to adjust the passenger header as the O2 sensor is hitting the under body. THEN I can drop that ******* cross member.

Is this the longest header install ever? Its been a ***** of a time.

Lol at "I made a kid cry" nice job. +100 pts.

OP
OP
T

tgui

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got this from advance Auto. Hope it works!

kn3RPmx.jpg

OP
OP
T

tgui

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aligned the headers and now the O2 sensor doesn't hut the body. It's close though.

Trimmed the wire boot.
K350B77.jpg

Slips on snug
BXXAuC0.jpg

Fits ok. Used a zip tie to keep it from touching the header.
8r363Do.jpg

OP
OP
T

tgui

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Engine side about buttoned up. Now to figure out the damn crossmember.

All gm engines should look like this.... but cleaner of course and with less rust.

RMrtGE3.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019