2017 Yukon XL Denali Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

duke90

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 2017 Yukon XL Denali with about 116k miles on it..purchased new. It's the wife's car so it's mostly driven around town shuttling the kids or taken on road trips. Truck has been completely stock up until recently. My plan is to slowly build it up for mild off-road use. Before the kids, I had a built '02 R50 Pathfinder that we took on trips all the time. Was a great overland rig, but I needed the space so we went with the XL. Now that the kids are old enough to go on longer trips, I'm hoping to make the Yukon a bit more capable; not MOAB stuff by any means, but more along the lines of Cathedral Valley trail, white rim trail, mogollon rim etc. That's about it for the backstory so on to the build:

Last month I removed the OEM struts/coils/rear shocks and deleted the MRC. I replaced the fronts with Fox 2.0 Coil-overs (#985-02-018) and the rears with Fox 2.5 Piggybacks (No DSC Adjuster, figured that was overkill and wouldn't get much use out of it). The rear coils were replaced with the Z71 coils (Moog #81069). That gave about an extra 1" of lift in the rear compared to OEM. I also, installed Dirt King tubular front upper control arms.

Few side notes regarding the install for anyone who may plan to do something similar for their yukon/suburban in the future:
1) The Fox 2.5 rears are designed for the sierra/silverado pickups so the rear passenger's side shock will need to be clocked 90 degrees for it to fit. I mentioned this to DK over the phone before ordering..told them I had a Yukon and it needed to be clocked, but when the shocks came in the mail it wasn't done. 4wheel parts and a couple other shops said they couldn't do it and it would need to be sent back to Fox in order for the res to be rotated. This was bad news because I was doing the work at my buddy's house in Phoenix and needed to drive the truck back home to SoCal. Luckily I called, Shock Therapy in Phoenix and they said to bring it in and they would take care of it. Drove to their shop and within 15 minutes they had it clocked and ready to go, they didn't even want anything for it! Awesome service and I really appreciated them helping me out. Aside from that hiccup, installing both front and rears was straight forward with no issues. I did leave the coil-overs at their pre-set height which gave me a 4" height increase over where it was at, but remember my oem struts were shot and sagging. After the install I sat 38" from ground to fender on both passenger/driver side in the front and 38.5" in the rear. I've put about 2k miles since install and the front is still at 38" and the rear settled 0.5" so it's also at 38".

2) DK Upper Tubular control arms: installing these UCAs will require you to cut off the bump stops. You will then also need to come up with a way to attach the ABS sensor lines. I cut a piece of clear tube and wrapped it around the control arm and then zip tied the bracket over the tube.

3) I purchased MRC Delete Sims off Amazon so that I would not get service suspension codes on the dash. Paid $140 per pair (You will need 2 pairs, so $280 total). They've worked great so far, no issues.

4) After removing the rear auto-level shocks and installing the 2.5s, the air compressor will continually run. I left the compressor in place and just capped the line. I also removed the fuse to turn the compressor off.

Aside from the suspension work, my buddy and I also took the time to do some general maintenance. Replaced the spark plugs, put new belts, and replaced the passenger's side head-light bulb which was a real PIA.

Attachments

• UCA ABS Bracket.jpg
    UCA ABS Bracket.jpg
    379.3 KB · Views: 31
  • UCA.jpg
    UCA.jpg
    330.6 KB · Views: 27
  • ABS Bracket front.jpg
    ABS Bracket front.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 26
  • Front Install.jpg
    Front Install.jpg
    325.7 KB · Views: 28
  • Front Install x2.jpg
    Front Install x2.jpg
    373.8 KB · Views: 29
OP
OP
duke90

duke90

Reaction score
More Pics.

*Notice the old struts. The Passenger's side strut must have seized at some point because it was a good bit shorter/collapsed than the driver's side.

Attachments

• Rear Shock install.jpg
    Rear Shock install.jpg
    406.5 KB · Views: 26
  • Rear shock intall x2.jpg
    Rear shock intall x2.jpg
    429.8 KB · Views: 22
  • Old struts.jpg
    Old struts.jpg
    470.4 KB · Views: 24
  • Rear cutout.jpg
    Rear cutout.jpg
    332.2 KB · Views: 22
  • Rear Shock.jpg
    Rear Shock.jpg
    307.4 KB · Views: 22
OP
OP
duke90

duke90

Reaction score
This weekend, we'll be doing some more stuff to the truck:

1) GM Brembo Kit for the front
2) Powerstop Z36 Kit for the rear
3) New ABS sensors on all four corners along with SS brake lines
4) Spohn Performance Off-road package for the rear (Replacing Upper and Lower rear control arms along with the pan-hard rod. Del-Sphere joints on all ends.)
5) Replace transfer case fluid
6) Replace fluids in both differentials
7) Install front aluminum skid plate (GM #23135960)
8) Mock up measurements for a gas tank skid plate

For anyone looking for this particular info:
-I'll be using DOT 4 Brake fluid instead of DOT 3.
-75w-90 Valvoline Synthetic gear oil for both diffs
- 3.5 pints front
- 5.5 pints rear
(I have the 9.76" 12 Bolt Rear. 33 spline. I believe the SUVs with the 6.2 2015-2020 all had this rear end? Correct me if I'm wrong)
- STP ATF Fluid for the transfer case 3.2 pints (I have the 2sp transfer case)

I also added a transfer case skid (GM #20922755)

Last edited:
OP
OP
duke90

duke90

Reaction score
Future plans:

1) Front winch bumper. There are a couple of options, but neither of which is exactly what I want. I may end up having to just price out a custom fab. Ideally I would like something very similar to an ARB Bullbar. I had one on my R50 and loved it.

2) Rear bumper. Again, few options out there. I do like the one from baseline overland with dual swing outs, but I'm worried about having to constantly open the swing arms to allow for the rear liftgate to open. With kids, the wife is constantly using the fob to open and close the liftgate to load stuff. I don't think she'd be a fan of needing to move the spare out of the way each time she wanted to open/close. Not sure exactly how it's built, if each arm is removable or if its welded. If removable, then I could store the swing arms in the garage and only mount then when going on a road trip or maybe something could be rigged so that the arms automatically open in sequence with the lift gate? Otherwise, the option is to go with a rear bumper with no swing-outs. Need to think more about this.

3) Lighting. Definitely want to add some KC Lights or ARB Intensity (had those on my R50 and I liked them). I prefer the old-school rounded lights opposed to the light bars. Need a winch bumper first, but once I have that I'll definitely get some lights.

4) Front lower boxed control arms. Anything from a 2018 Sierra should bolt on to my yukon. I found a few different shops selling boxed lower replacements so I'll need to verify the fit and then pick one. This will probably be my next "upgrade".

5) Gas tank skid. Will make a cardboard mock up this weekend and then hopefully my buddy will be able to weld it together and get it installed on the next garage day.

6) Rims: Not high on my priorities list, but eventually I want to go down to a 20" rim. I currently have factory GM 22" with 285/40/R22 BFG Trail Terrain Tires. 20" will be the smallest I can go due to the BBK in front. Was considering some Method or KMC rims but I also liked the standard 20" OEM Denali Rims from '15-'20 so might go with those if I find a good deal on some take-off. Tire size is still the question mark. Sure I'd like to go 35s, but then I'd need to re-gear (Currently OEM with 3.21) and do a lot of cutting unless I went with a 4" BDS lift, which I've also been considering. Otherwise, I'd probably go 33.5". Any thoughts on this?

7) AFM Delete. Need to look more into this, but after reading a bunch of threads on here it sounds like I should probably tune out the AFM. I'm at 116K with no issues YET, but obviously I'm trying to get the most life out of my 6.2 before needing a rebuild. I considered Black Bear but are they still around? I see they haven't logged on to this forum since '21. Read good things about them though. Also read good stuff about Diablo. I'm not familiar with tunes at all so new territory for me in that regard. I'm also registered in CA so I don't want to have any issues when needing a smog.

8) Rock sliders. Haven't found anything at all online regarding sliders. Looks like I'll have to price out a custom set from some fab shop.

I'm sure there are more things to add, but getting the things I mentioned done is my thought process for now.

Repairs:

My AC condenser went out last summer (I think it was around 107k miles). Dealer repaired for $1500
My brakes started to act up at very low speeds..like stop and go 1-2mph speeds. The pedal would feel like it lost power and you'd have to smash on the brake to get the truck to stop. I had the control module reset a couple years ago for the initial recall so when I took the truck in last week and told them the problem was occurring again they replaced the vacuum pump under warranty.

I do have the 8sp trans. When new, it would shift pretty rough from 1st to 2nd gear especially if I slowed on a stop but didn't come to a complete stop it would jerk when I hit the gas again. I was told some kind of additive in the OEM trans fluid could have been causing that? I got the trans flushed at 20k, 65k, and most recently last week at 115k. No issues so far.

OP
OP
duke90

duke90

Reaction score
Installed the Spohn trailing arms and panhard rod over the weekend..pretty straight-forward. Tq those bolts to 80lb-ft.

Also got the Brembos on up front and power stop z36 in the rear.

Attachments

• IMG_9463.jpeg
    IMG_9463.jpeg
    305.8 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_9461.jpeg
    IMG_9461.jpeg
    298.9 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_9460.jpeg
    IMG_9460.jpeg
    352.5 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_9457.jpeg
    IMG_9457.jpeg
    466.6 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_9499.png
    IMG_9499.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 38
Last edited:

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lookin stellar !

Are those zip ties holding a metal bracket on the upper a-arm? Maybe a stainless hose clamp would be a better product?

OP
OP
duke90

duke90

Reaction score
Lookin stellar !

Are those zip ties holding a metal bracket on the upper a-arm? Maybe a stainless hose clamp would be a better product?
I reused the abs bracket so that I could use the clips for the abs sensor instead of having to ziptie the sensor itself to the UCA. Didn't have any stainless on me, but don't see why these wouldn't hold up.

OP
OP
duke90

duke90

Reaction score
New tires 285/50/r22 Nitto Terra Grapplers comes out to 33.3”

Have a set of 3 BFG Trail Terrain 285/45/r22 32.1” with about 10k miles on them if anyone is interested. $500 for the 3

Attachments

• IMG_0495.jpeg
    IMG_0495.jpeg
    432.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0497.jpeg
    IMG_0497.jpeg
    384.4 KB · Views: 18

Ibustbravo

Reaction score
New tires 285/50/r22 Nitto Terra Grapplers comes out to 33.3”

Have a set of 3 BFG Trail Terrain 285/45/r22 32.1” with about 10k miles on them if anyone is interested. $500 for the 3
I'm really posing to follow the the thread.

Does it ride better with the fancy suspension removed? My 15 Yukon feels like I'm driving around a harbor freight tool cart.

C

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm really posing to follow the the thread.

Does it ride better with the fancy suspension removed? My 15 Yukon feels like I'm driving around a harbor freight tool cart.

C
Your front mrc struts are most likely locked up. Very common issue. It should ride very nicely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts