2007 Tahoe LS full rebuild project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PeteCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Starting this thread as a progress on my work: complete rebuild and modernize + restyle the truck (getting some hybrid exterior elements). Will post pictures and issues I had during the process that may be useful for others if they will decide to do something like that.

What is done:
- Factory Remanufactured Engine dumped in (it was easier than I thought).
- AC lines.
- Brand new transmission .
- Front Suspension: struts+springs, axles, rods, lower and upper arms, ball joints, bearing hubs.
- Same headlights just new - not hazy.
- driver side window control unit (replaced but still doesn't work)
- New 22" wheels and tires (285/22/45).
- New steering wheel (actually it is more comfortable, the wheel itself is thicker as newer models and more comfortable)
wheel.jpg

This is how it looks now. I repainted the truck with similar to original color (it was no the best of my work as but I learned a lot, and upcoming paint project should be done way better this time) but planning to change the color this or next weekend.
unnamed.jpg

Delivered and ready to be placed/use

- rear springs with rubber mounts
- 2 DIN Radio
- Paint car in industrial grey. Mix White+Black paint I got, then Clear.
- Paint in black rear upper quarter panel (between rear & side rear glass to create "continues" black effect around), both logo.
- LED headlight bulbs
- new lug nuts
- rear bearing and seals

Purchased and waiting to be delivered
- Rear arms
- floor for the whole car
- katzkin leather interior for 9 seats
- new LED headlights
- frame and wiring for 2DIN radio/gps
- hybrid version hood
- hybrid version grille
- hybrid version lower air deflector
- front passenger caliper
- rear bearing + seals

Fix
- Dashboard. Dismount and plastic weld + enforce
- Electric front seats. Doesn't work. Discover the issue then fix.
- Front right caliper, the old one is shut, doesn't release the brake)
- a little vertical play in a rear right wheel
- driver side window control unit fix the wiring or whatever, no power.

Planning to purchase
- "In-Head" 2x ~8inch Screens for the rear
- Rear camera
- new step assist
- exterior black handlers for the doors
- LED/halo taillights. not sure which design yet.

Custom
- Redesign dashboard dials and laser cut the new one
- Redesign dials arrows and 3D print
- Switch dashboard lights to RED (rear red diodes + 3D print AC dials, then paint/laser)

Last edited:
OP
OP
PeteCT

PeteCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just picked up the Lower air deflector from a hybrid version. There was no hassle here with purchasing this part locally.
Nice and tall version of the deflector. Hopefully bumper will come before Saturday so I could try them on this weekend.

unnamed (3).jpg unnamed (2).jpg

OP
OP
PeteCT

PeteCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spyders are here and I got some LED lights

(hopefully they won't melt the headlight)

Tomorrow the bumper from hybrid suppose to be here I will try to install it just to look at the rig (before go down the road with changing the color, planning to visit DMV on 13th to set the papers for it).
other plans for tomorrow - replace shot caliper and damaged knuckle with new ones. if I will have time after it, start dismount the chairs, new carpet is here!

unnamed.jpg 71QFjYMbRhL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
PeteCT

PeteCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never received folded bumper covers before, hopefully it didn't do any damage but I was excited to find out that the bumper got here before I woke up!

unnamed (1).jpg

OP
OP
PeteCT

PeteCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mounted.
Next step: removing seats to change carpers + change the caliper + knuckle .

unnamed (4).jpg

OP
OP
PeteCT

PeteCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You’re not going to paint it? It’s way easier when it’s off the truck.

I just tried out the look. The hole thing has to be taken down before to paint.
Planning to paint into 2 steps/2 days. Roof + bumpers & hood, other day - the rest.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PeteCT

PeteCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was a tough day.
Replaced front right brake line, switched to ACDelco bearing hub kit, then knuckle, then front brake caliper. Tomorrow will test brakes on the road again, hopefully no more brakes issues (last time it was a smoking hot show, to the point that central cap melted, luckily I had replacement, car didn't set on fire and didn't fuse anything there).

Then Katzkin leather seats covers came in. I couldn't resist and until 1am was replacing them + new carpet floor.
1am. So far mounted carpet in the front side of the car + front seats + middle one (9 seats ls).
I hope tomorrow will wrap the seats and share some pictures.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was a tough day.
Replaced front right brake line, switched to ACDelco bearing hub kit, then knuckle, then front brake caliper. Tomorrow will test brakes on the road again, hopefully no more brakes issues (last time it was a smoking hot show, to the point that central cap melted, luckily I had replacement, car didn't set on fire and didn't fuse anything there).

Then Katzkin leather seats covers came in. I couldn't resist and until 1am was replacing them + new carpet floor.
1am. So far mounted carpet in the front side of the car + front seats + middle one (9 seats ls).
I hope tomorrow will wrap the seats and share some pictures.
A steam gun with a hose attached to reach into the corners helps greatly with installing the Katzkins. You can get the foam to puff up into the corners so they come out tight. Believe me it makes a world of difference using one to eliminate wrinkles. To do the headrests, remove the old covers and put a thin plastic bag like the ones from a grocery store over the foam, clamp the headrest using a vise on one of the posts, and wrap the open end of the plastic bag around your vacuum cleaner hose attachment and tape it closed. Turn on the vacuum and it will suck the foam until it shrinks enough to get the cover over it. Get it positioned right and then turn off the vacuum. It will come out perfect. Cut the end off the plastic bag and bingo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buzarr