2007 Denali cold knock low oil pressure at idle whe warm

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kdog

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
please help. 2007 Denali l92 6.2 has 140k a cold knock like a diesel until up to operating temp then smooth but oil pressure drops to about 10. Mechanic says new engine. Replaced sending unit but missed cleaning screen. Slight and I mean slight sense of overheat in town. No loss of power. Does not use oil and good gas mileage. Sounds like oil pump/o-ring? Not convinced piston knock because it last 10 minutes until really warm not the normal minute or less. 7000 for new crate with install or a few hundred and headache to change pump and or o ring

02Burgundybeast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same issue w/ my 07 Denali at 136K. Replaced the o-ring it was all good. Cost me $400 at my local go to shop. The o-ring and oil bump require the t-case to be dropped. Kind of a PIA.

JML07denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having this same issue. Where does the o-ring attach to?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

02Burgundybeast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My o ring was split into 3 different pieces when it was removed. Basically your truck starts sucking air instead of oil.

It is between the pickup tube and the oil pump

JML07denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Is it a big job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#1taho

5150TAHO
Reaction score
The oring isn't the knock. The lack of oil pressure is causing the knock and damage. Replace the oring and you should be fine.

It's like drinking with a straw, if you poke a hole in the side you get very little drink. Same as a broken oring, lack of oil pressure.
Not a fun job but can be done in a day in a driveway

OP
OP
K

Kdog

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks gents.
I am pretty sure that is what I am looking at given all the research I have read. Okay, day in driveway-can do. Is this a drop front suspension or wrangle the bolt through the timing chain cover as I have seen others do? Or, have shop to it??? I hate paying $600 bucks for a shop to replace an $8 part. Is it possible to drop the oil pan just enough to get at the bolt. Do I dremmel it off like others spinning the flange 180 degrees...

Or, just spend an incredible amount of headache and swearing trying to get that bolt in with wire and hemostats?

Thanks again for any advice. I do have a shop appointment scheduled but not in the mood to spend that much money for an o-ring at this point, however my wife might be :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTN_KDA