2007 5.3 year compatibility

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dropping in a 6.0L or 6.2L to have a plug-and-play (or near it) upgrade would be fun, but you gotta consider the transmission.
It's adequate behind the LMG, but will be stressed behind the HP/TQ of an upgraded engine.
Depends on how you drive it, and whether or not the ecm & tcm are reprogrammed properly to provide increased line pressure to hold the 4L60E together.

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The AFM software that is usually sold as a AFM defeat or disabler can simply trick the trans from going into overdrive keeping the AFM from turning on. All the troublesome mechanicals are still in the motor so if you’re referring to tuned off, its really not.

You’d have to have a tuner write a program to tune it out. That’d be far easier than using the 6.0L BCM and adding all the existing trucks features to the donor motor profile. After the AFM is tuned out of the BCM, then you need the 6.0L motor that never had AFM or the existing 5.7L motor with all its AFM mechanicals removed.
@petethepug Gotcha, I have a mechanically AFM deleted 5.3 that has AFM tuned out with a Black Bear tune. Just wondering if I got bored enough if I could drop a 6.0 in or if I needed to do anything else.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depends on how you drive it, and whether or not the ecm & tcm are reprogrammed properly to provide increased line pressure to hold the 4L60E together.

Sure. But why swap in 50 (at least) more HP/TQ just to throttle and/or tune it down to worn 5.3 power levels? I was basing my comment on GM's advertised ratings for the 4L60E, which, in this case would only apply if his had been rebuilt to proper OEM specs. Cranking up the line pressure is only a small and specific solution. That damned sun shell still has its limit.

With how I run mine, I'm convinced my trans has been rebuilt or replaced. Or I'm just still lucky for the time being.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... why swap in 50 (at least) more HP/TQ, just to throttle and / or tune it down to worn 5.3L power levels?
I was basing my comment on GM's advertised ratings for the 4L60E, which, in this case would only apply if his had been rebuilt to proper OEM specs.
Cranking up the line pressure is only a small and specific solution. That damned sun shell still has its limit.

With how I run mine, I'm convinced my trans has been rebuilt or replaced. Or I'm just still lucky for the time being.
Never said to detune the 6.0L.
Between cranking up the line pressures, carefully editing the shift strategy tables, and not being a leadfooted riceboi, the only things left to worry about are:
if that 4L60E has not been rebuilt in the last 5 years (NOT 50), and/or if the axle gears are 3.42 or less.

Last edited:

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im pretty sure my 2007 Tahoe LMG, vin0, engine cam broke (or cam chain broke?). Just shut off on highway, threw a code P0340. Removed cam sensor, stuck my finger in, rotated the engine by hand, and couldn't feel or see the reluctor wheel spinning. Verified by looking down the oil fill, rocker arms not moving.
So, with 352000 miles - completely stock - AFM operational until this - I am pulling the motor.

I plan on deleting the AFM, and installing the proper kit too do so - cam, block off plate, lifters, ecm delete, etc. etc.

Question I have - IF the engine I have cannot be used, what years can I use to replace the one in my 07 Tahoe?
Is there any 5.3s that do not have the AFM/DOD setup that will work?

The cam sensor is in the front cover, and the knock sensors are on the side of the block (easy accessed).
I am not looking for any type of performance upgrades (other than the afm delete) or larger displacement - just a job that can be easily done - because its getting cold and I'm doing this on the street lol.

Thanks for any help
I've often thought if our 2007 6.2 L92 gave up I'd find a 2010-2014 4.8 L20 to replace it. We have no need for the L92 power and would like to run 87 octane with its lower compression.
L20 doesn't have AFM, does have VVT(good), is FlexFuel compatible(good), and an iron block(good).
I think we could plug & play this swap with a tune, and keep our existing exhaust, wire harness, ecm, tcm, bcm, 6L80, etc.
If power was lacking I'd install a turbo kit :).

https://www.onallcylinders.com/2018...ormance-bore-stroke-cylinder-heads-cam-specs/

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Oh my gugg, a 4.8L in a Denali would be like my daughter’s 01 S10 with its 2.2L L43 120hp I-4 that doesn’t get to that 120 hp until it’s at 5000 rpm.

No lane changes or pulling into traffic unless you’re aware you’ll accelerate as fast as a 60’s VW Bus. It’d probably be faster with the 4.8L connected to a propeller at the back vs the drive train.

Ahhh, sigh of relief. I’ve seen the NNBS ECM vs BCM discussions in the past as a lurker. The last one I saw was a dude who emphatically insisted both were an interchangeable term for 07-14. I’m happy to now say NOPE.

I love pictures and part numbers.

ECM …
B1A80248-FF64-4D34-9160-CB4064FD98A9.jpeg

BCM
C9F4DAB1-CE89-4575-980D-2DABE77C7A03.jpeg

Last edited:

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never said to detune the 6.0L.
Between cranking up the line pressures, carefully editing the shift strategy tables, and not being a leadfooted riceboi, the only things left to worry about are:
if that 4L60E has not been rebuilt in the last 5 years (NOT 50), and/or if the axle gears are 3.42 or less.

I gotcha. I read "...and whether or not the ecm & tcm are reprogrammed properly..." as the ECM being tuned to protect the trans (like retarded timing/extra Torque Management) and the TCM (actually all the same in this generation) adjusted to have higher line pressure.

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've often thought if our 2007 6.2 L92 gave up I'd find a 2010-2014 4.8 L20 to replace it. We have no need for the L92 power and would like to run 87 octane with its lower compression.
L20 doesn't have AFM, does have VVT(good), is FlexFuel compatible(good), and an iron block(good).
I think we could plug & play this swap with a tune, and keep our existing exhaust, wire harness, ecm, tcm, bcm, 6L80, etc.

https://www.onallcylinders.com/2018...ormance-bore-stroke-cylinder-heads-cam-specs/
I was kinda wondering the same after looking around due to this thread and OP's question.

L20 iron block and piecing together like a stroker kit, keeping it NA. I think I've seen 3.905" bore & 4.00" stroker kits, which is a 383(?) Should have plenty of torque for a large truck or towing. Core prices on 4.8 always seem to be the best bargains because everyone is after the larger displacements.

I'm building an iron block 6.0 right now. Pretty stock-ish. My oldest son came in the garage and he was asking me some questions, so I was explaining to him how engines work, using the engine on the stand as a working display. He's 12 but lately been interested in mechanical stuff with all sorts of questions (some of which I actually don't have answers to!). Anyways, at the end I told him that this hobby is pretty expensive, especially if you go into aftermarket stuff...I wish I could have built a stroker, but in reality, I'm barely going to be able to put this thing together in stock form, LoL.

So, yes, still plenty of potential on the "little" 4.8 LS :)

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've often thought if our 2007 6.2L L92 gave up I'd find a 2010-2014 4.8L L20 to replace it.
We have no need for the L92 power and would like to run 87 octane with its lower compression.
L20 doesn't have AFM, does have VVT (good), is FlexFuel compatible (good), and an iron block (good).
4.8L is like a 5.3L from 3500RpM to 5500RpM. Under 3500RpM, it's even weaker - more like a 4.3L V6.

Everything you said, but instead of 4.8L ... 6.0L.

Every L98, L76, and L77 is tuned by GM for 87 octane.
If you don't like aluminum blocks, there are plenty of 6.0L iron blocks - just don't see why you wouldn't want to lose some weight, and if you don't need 6.2L power, you likely won't need an iron block either.

When my L59 dies, whether 5.3L or 6.0L, I'm going with an aluminum block to lose a lil bit of weight.