2001 Tahoe 2wd steering wander

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
the newer models are using electronic steering they use a Rack and Pinion with electric motor.... very nice to use way smoother,less whining and faster response

Speaking of less whining, let's get back on subject. Stop diluting the conversation with unneeded and unwanted "info" that is not germane to the thread. SMH

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are speaking of wander on a "perfect" road correct? Does it feel better driving in the rain? Looking at the alignment sheet, my preference would be to lower the front some, up to an inch or so, to make the camber able to zero. The rest of the numbers are in perfect range.
A not so smooth/flat road or truck grooved can change the contact patch of the tires to give a weird feeling. Rain will improve the feel because of less scrub. Thats the best indication of Will alignment help?
If you have time and space, you can draw a box around truck to measure everything. Frame alignment locations given in the manual. Good luck!

Dalt10

Reaction score
My Yukon starting doing the same thing out of nowhere. Was getting bad enough I didn't drive it much. I replaced the Idler arm and it helped some. I put new shocks on the front and it helped a little more but still would wander. Thought it might be the hubs/wheel bearings but they felt tight. I changed both front hubs anyway and put two new tires on it and it drives fine now. No wandering. Almost drives like a new truck again. I still need to change the Pitman arm since I bought one. Don't know if that would solve your problem but it did for mine. I do have 20x9 rims with 305/45-22"s on it.

OP
OP
B

Battledrift69

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My Yukon starting doing the same thing out of nowhere. Was getting bad enough I didn't drive it much. I replaced the Idler arm and it helped some. I put new shocks on the front and it helped a little more but still would wander. Thought it might be the hubs/wheel bearings but they felt tight. I changed both front hubs anyway and put two new tires on it and it drives fine now. No wandering. Almost drives like a new truck again. I still need to change the Pitman arm since I bought one. Don't know if that would solve your problem but it did for mine. I do have 20x9 rims with 305/45-22"s on it.
My hubs and bearings seem fine as well but i did just buy new ones that will be delivered Friday. So I’m hoping after that everything will be good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good call. Bearings helped mine somewhat, but did not completely solve it.

Reaction score
Did ur truck have any sway before u replaced the hubs ?

Dalt10

Reaction score
Mine drove fine for about a year and a half after I bought it. After I thought about it, it started to wander and sway a little and pull to the left some a few months back. It kept getting worse. You would be driving along and it would just start wandering around the road, then smooth out. almost would go into the oncoming lane. I thought it might be the Idler arm and pitman arm. Replaced the pitman arm. I then checked the hubs, right side was tight and the left was just a little loose. I went ahead and changed them and the tires and it hasn't did it since. My truck has 140,000 miles on it. Low miles for hubs to go but with the heavy rims and tires I'm sure it wore them out sooner.

IMG_1952.JPG IMG_1948.JPG IMG_1949.JPG

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Battledrift69 Do you have aftermarket wheels? I had a set of 24x10 iroc replicas and my 2000 Tahoe wandered wherever the road would take me. Tires seemed good. Rims weren’t bent. They balanced fine. But no other set of wheels did that.

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine drove fine for about a year and a half after I bought it. After I thought about it, it started to wander and sway a little and pull to the left some a few months back. It kept getting worse. You would be driving along and it would just start wandering around the road, then smooth out. almost would go into the oncoming lane. I thought it might be the Idler arm and pitman arm. Replaced the pitman arm. I then checked the hubs, right side was tight and the left was just a little loose. I went ahead and changed them and the tires and it hasn't did it since. My truck has 140,000 miles on it. Low miles for hubs to go but with the heavy rims and tires I'm sure it wore them out sooner.

View attachment 271256 View attachment 271257 View attachment 271259
You post just gave me anxiety watching that jack stand in the grass lol. But I use recalled harbor freight stands. So who am I to judge

Dalt10

Reaction score
I get it. The jack stand was there as back up to the jack that was on wood. Could have sank some if the jack failed but under that grass is hard Clay. I'm out in the middle of no where Georgia.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10