2001 Tahoe 2wd steering wander

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

Battledrift69

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
A few things come to mind. I have heard that if the center link is not installed in the correct orientation that can cause weird steering issues.

Also, since you have ZW7 (Premium Smooth Ride) and G65 (Manually self-adjusting rear shocks), the rear springs are weaker than a stock or Z71 spring, and the rear Nivomat shocks are self adjusting (not electronic). So if the shocks were changed to standard type, the springs should also have been changed to firmer ones. What rear shocks are on it now?

Also, the bump stops must contact the lower control arms to work properly; that's a fulcrum point in the front suspension and stabilizes things. I don't know if that would affect the steering stability but I would think that it could.
I replaced the springs with brand new z71 springs and I have Monroe Self Adjusting shocks..

The shocks and springs in the rear lifted the rear almost 2 inches so I ended up grabbing 2” leveling keys to compensate.

So now the bump stops don’t make contact. Is there a way to correct that or maybe a bigger bump stop?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve checked several times for this sensor and I don’t have it on the column anywhere. I’ve searched and searched for another place it may be and haven’t found one.

It’s called the steering wheel position sensor. It’s a round thing that goes around the steering shaft. Look for wires going to the bottom of your steering column, it’s there.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I replaced the springs with brand new z71 springs and I have Monroe Self Adjusting shocks..

The shocks and springs in the rear lifted the rear almost 2 inches so I ended up grabbing 2” leveling keys to compensate.

So now the bump stops don’t make contact. Is there a way to correct that or maybe a bigger bump stop?

That’s likely your problem. Raising or lowering 1” is considered acceptable using keys or adjusting your stock ones and anything over that usually results in what you’re experiencing. You’d be better off to use spindles to get 2” and go back to stock keys. There’s ways to get those bump stops raised by using a bracket or something, I’m not sure. I’ve never raised, only lowered.

OP
OP
B

Battledrift69

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That’s likely your problem. Raising or lowering 1” is considered acceptable using keys or adjusting your stock ones and anything over that usually results in what you’re experiencing. You’d be better off to use spindles to get 2” and go back to stock keys. There’s ways to get those bump stops raised by using a bracket or something, I’m not sure. I’ve never raised, only lowered.
Later today I’m going to cranked it down to lower it a little bit and see if that changes anything. If that’s the case I’ll get those spindles.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Good that you changed the springs at the same time. Besides the steering issue, how does it ride with the Z71 springs and the Monroes? Noticeably harder, or not?

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good that you changed the springs at the same time. Besides the steering issue, how does it ride with the Z71 springs and the Monroes? Noticeably harder, or not?

I liked my old Denali on trimmed Z71 springs. Not harsh, just more controlled. I had bilstein 4600s.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Battledrift69

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It’s noticeably stiffer that’s for sure, I dig it. The Monroe’s surprised me, I had a 50/50 shot of them being crap but they’re pretty decent. I tow my detailing trailer with no squat at all.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the bottom of the steering wheel shaft is a sensor that goes bad, makes the vehicle have its own mind which way to go.
You don't have electronic steering on a 2001 that was only the 2008-2013 hybrids and 2015+

the upside to electronic steering it will KEEP going straight(i.e bump/pot hole steer ) at lest under 60 mph unless the user inputs to the wheel... even if you have incorrect aliment or worn on one side it will still go straight.

with electronic steering you can actually see how not straight roads are...

this...

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't have electronic steering on a 2001 that was only the 2008-2013 hybrids and 2015+

the upside to electronic steering it will KEEP going straight(i.e bump/pot hole steer ) at lest under 60 mph unless the user inputs to the wheel... even if you have incorrect aliment or worn on one side it will still go straight.

with electronic steering you can actually see how not straight roads are...

this...
Steering wheel position sensors exist on the gmt800s

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=4631454&cc=1411827&jsn=10599&_nck=ZExt1ysfqhqWnq+EvUNdS3Txyey60IDtnjPWF5UU9J0BWQv7pvqZbkEUk86+AYIhFUNxSQbBt9FG2lrT6pClN3E+UMh0B+u2rjCeDjRwiHPiUN1sXDvzOtIjfbSW4Ljc/uw4aD7pa3NAIap3mCm31p11IhQXinQArQjhil0kuz9E5VOqqVxMgbEuhBS0W2P51sCEh47gzwKMGYY/6HnPgjiwRl+umfdDqr9tpDBCq84=

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=9114032&cc=1432038&jsn=10521&_nck=ZExt1ysfqhqWnq+EvUNdS3Txyey60IDtnjPWF5UU9J0BWQv7pvqZbkEUk86+AYIhFUNxSQbBt9FG2lrT6pClN3E+UMh0B+u2rjCeDjRwiHPiUN1sXDvzOtIjfbSW4Ljc/uw4aD7pa3NAIap3mCm31p11IhQXinQArQjhil0kuz9E5VOqqVxMgbEuhBS0W2P51sCEh47gzwKMGYY/6HnPgjiwRl+umfdDqr9tpDBCq84=

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yukrazy