1st time replacing 10 speed fluid & filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
MrMonte

MrMonte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah she probably quoted a 6 speed. Also said I needed to drop it off at 7am and it would be there all day, so that's a hell no from me. 12 qts and a filter is about a hundy from RA, so Ill give it a shot. Its used, so I need to check the magnet and fluid anyway, but Im not excited about dropping that big ass sloppy pan around the exhaust all over me...
If you have a 10 speed it has 2 magnets in there. Before dropping the 10 speed pan I started the engine & let 3 qts drain, turned off engine then dropped the pan. The pan drops easily once you disconnect (1 bolt) the trans cooling lines from the side of the transmission.

OP
OP
MrMonte

MrMonte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What did they quote you?

Around the Houston area, the dealers want over $600 for a full filter and oil flush. I ended up doing my sons 18 camaro 10sp tranny myself.
My neighbor paid $800 to get his 2018 Silverado transmission fluid & filter replaced.

K2 Kaiju

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My neighbor paid $800 to get his 2018 Silverado transmission fluid & filter replaced.
Oof, way too high. I got the juice and filter, just waiting on a fluid pump. You took 90min and I saw another on here take 12 hours; hopefully I can get it done closer to your time...

OP
OP
MrMonte

MrMonte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oof, way too high. I got the juice and filter, just waiting on a fluid pump. You took 90min and I saw another on here take 12 hours; hopefully I can get it done closer to your time...
The only sketchy part is disconnecting then reconnecting the transmission return line. I use a small pick with a curved end to partial remove the "don't lose me" clip then grab it with a needle nose. There may be a tool that slips over the return line that slides in to release the clip. None of mine fit.

I used 2 8ft of clear hoses to capture the fluid. 1 3/8" OD & 1 3/8" ID.

You should install the "don't lose me" clip before installing the transmission return line. When installing the return line it should just click in place. If correct the black collar will slide on & be 100% flush. If not 100% flush that line or clip is not right & the line may pop off later..

I'm sure my next time will get done is less than 1hr. Not doing it before I took my time. I use a cheap Harbor Freight manual pump that transfers a qt in ~ 6 pumps and the supplied hoses fit in the transmission & bottle.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah she probably quoted a 6 speed. Also said I needed to drop it off at 7am and it would be there all day, so that's a hell no from me. 12 qts and a filter is about a hundy from RA, so Ill give it a shot. Its used, so I need to check the magnet and fluid anyway, but Im not excited about dropping that big ass sloppy pan around the exhaust all over me...
You can suck the pan dry through the dipstick tube with one of these. Save yourself the mess. This thing kicks azs.

K2 Kaiju

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can suck the pan dry through the dipstick tube with one of these. Save yourself the mess. This thing kicks azs.

No dipstick or tube on the 10 speed or this would be a hell of a lot easier. You also need fluid in a very specific temp range when you check the fill - and I dont see a temp option on my DIC like with the 6 speed. It appears the previous owner had it done at some fast lube place a couple years ago which worries me the most. Going to do the difs and transfer case today, and see how the connections look on the tranny...

k_arnold72

Reaction score
No dipstick or tube on the 10 speed or this would be a hell of a lot easier. You also need fluid in a very specific temp range when you check the fill - and I dont see a temp option on my DIC like with the 6 speed. It appears the previous owner had it done at some fast lube place a couple years ago which worries me the most. Going to do the difs and transfer case today, and see how the connections look on the tranny...

I think you only see the temp gauge in tow mode

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019