Clogged Trans Filter, is it toast?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP

18Burbanator

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Okay, good to know. I do keep on top of changing oil (on the GM schedule) and have always used Mobil 1 full synthetic (Ext Performance if possible) because I beleive they have the best addative package of the commonly available oils. I will look into the larger oil filter and probably start doing early changes.

Obviously I did screw up by missing my first trans service, but at this point, being 4 days since I replaced the filter with still no more direvability issues, is it possible that nothing catostrophic broke, and that ot was just excessive clutch material from "normal" wear with one less service? I have never heard of the issue with the thermostat until this week, so I don't know yet if I already have the new bypass valve, but I did watch my trans temp yesterday and I never saw it go above 175 deg F.

If I deceide to have a prebuilt reman put in instead of having a local shop do the rebuild, is there any specfic "crate" remans available that have the appropriate upgrades? I wouldn't think that a GM reman would have the upgrades to improve on the poor design flaws of the original trans.

OP
OP

18Burbanator

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If anyone has a suggestion for a shop in the Dayton/Cincinnati area I'd be interested in that too, thanks.

15burban

Reaction score
Not sure about your area but in my area on car-part.com there's a few junkyards that have rebuilt transmissions for around $3k that come with a 3 year/ 100k mile warranty. I have no idea how good/reliable they are but I was curious so I looked it up.

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Replace the radiator when you replace the trans unless you plan on bypassing the factory cooler.
And it's not generally advisable to bypass the factory cooler unless the vehicle will be based in a very cold weather climate as air+liquid-driven heat exchange is much more efficient than just air.

So I second replacing the radiator.

jyi786

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replace the radiator when you replace the trans unless you plan on bypassing the factory cooler.

And it's not generally advisable to bypass the factory cooler unless the vehicle will be based in a very cold weather climate as air+liquid-driven heat exchange is much more efficient than just air.

So I second replacing the radiator.
I'm getting my 10L80 transmssion replaced next week, as you all know from my other thread. I did not plan on replacing my radiator. Do I have to do this?

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... getting my 10L80 replaced next week ...
I did not plan on replacing my radiator.
Do I have to?
Are you disobeying an order?
Seriously, though, the ATF in the radiator side tank is suspect.
That's THE reason why replacing the radiator is very highly recommended.

latvius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm getting my 10L80 transmssion replaced next week, as you all know from my other thread. I did not plan on replacing my radiator. Do I have to do this?
You don't "have" to do anything but you can contaminate your new transmission with particles floating in the cooler or like me in a few months your old radiator develops a leak and you get coolant in your new transmission.
What I would do is bypass your radiator and install an aftermarket cooler but at a minimum replace the radiator it's way cheaper than a new transmission (again).

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are swapping out a $4000+ transmission and are questioning if spending $300-$500 on a radiator to help ensure you don’t contaminate your new transmission is worth it? There is some money you can’t afford to save and this would some of that money in my opinion.

jyi786

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are swapping out a $4000+ transmission and are questioning if spending $300-$500 on a radiator to help ensure you don’t contaminate your new transmission is worth it? There is some money you can’t afford to save and this would some of that money in my opinion.
The transmission was $10k. I don't have another $1k just lying around to further spend on this entire ordeal. I did ask them to flow test the current radiator and cooler lines to ensure no blockage.

If I have to shell out another $1k to protect my $10k investment, I'll have to figure it out, but I thought flow testing and flushing the current one was fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar