Clogged Trans Filter, is it toast?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The transmission was $10k. I don't have another $1k just lying around to further spend on this entire ordeal. I did ask them to flow test the current radiator and cooler lines to ensure no blockage.

If I have to shell out another $1k to protect my $10k investment, I'll have to figure it out, but I thought flow testing and flushing the current one was fine.
I get that money is tight. Ultimately, you have to make the call. All we can do is offer our opinions based on our experiences.

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
She ought to have been serviced 3 or 4 times by now. The thermostat kills them by about 100K miles. They are excellent transmissions capable of going 300K plus miles with regular service (36K to 45K mile service interval).
^x2.
These transmissions are not like the old ones. They need servicing more often like @swathdiver said.

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
Are you disobeying an order?
Seriously, though, the ATF in the radiator side tank is suspect.
That's THE reason why replacing the radiator is very highly recommended.
It the radiator has the internal transmission cooler I would, or just bypass that cooler.

blackelky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If anyone has a suggestion for a shop in the Dayton/Cincinnati area I'd be interested in that too, thanks.
Gm makes a 6l80e performance version. Its around 4grand. There's always coupons for GM parts for around 10% off which is a huge savings

blackelky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Disregard my last post i see you have a 10l80e. The coupons from the dealer should still work for this service check their website

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you cannot afford to replace the radiator, then do not use / bypass the radiator's ATF tank.

jyi786

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are we saying that it is common for the radiator to leak? What happens in this case, does coolant mix with ATF and destroy the transmission?

Wouldn't I see some evidence of this in the transmission fluid?

Last edited:

jyi786

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It the radiator has the internal transmission cooler I would, or just bypass that cooler.

If you cannot afford to replace the radiator, then do not use / bypass the radiator's ATF tank.

Ok, so just trying to understand.

1. If I am not replacing the radiator, bypass the internal transmission cooler and install my own radiator/cooler for the new transmission.
2. If I want to continue to use the cooler internal to the radiator, replace it.

Did I get that right?

Last edited:

latvius

Full Access Member
Reaction score

1. If I am not replacing the radiator, bypass the internal transmission cooler and install my own radiator/cooler for the new transmission.
2. If I want to continue to use the cooler internal to the radiator, replace it.

Did I get that right?
Yes
if you bypass the radiator trans cooler you would install something like this. Keep in mind I have a 2005 model so I have no idea what you would need or what is recommended, just showing you what an aftermarket trans cooler looks like.

1707505851989.png

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Did I get that right?
Yes.
Your old radiator's ATF side tank has mung and detritus and other stuff in it that you
DO NOT WANT
mixing into your new ATF / transmission.
Since it is impossible to clean that stuff out of the radiator's ATF side tank, either don't use it, or replace it with a clean radiator.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts