1999 4x4 2 Door Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
bunchz71

bunchz71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK Guys, I do have one problem that I have noticed. Ever since the lift was installed I have a vibration in the front when I let off the gas, which feels like it is directly under the drivers floor board. Initially when I had first installed the lift I noticed it, but it was when I had my front driveshaft out because I had not modified my exhaust to clear the front drive shaft. After the exhaust was modified and the (new) front drive shaft was installed, I still have the same issue. I had very little play in my rear transmission mount so I just replaced it but it made no difference. I checked the rear Ujoints on the rear driveshaft and they are perfectly good. After looking further tonight, I noticed that the front differential is barely rubbing against the frame. On the Rough Country Lift, one of the steps were to grind the cooling fins on the side of the front differential to clear the frame. Apparently I did not grind enough of the fins down and its barely rubbing the frame. I am now thinking that when I let off the gas, I am feeling the vibration on the floor board of the driver side. Anyone else believe this is probably the vibration I am feeling ? I am really not wanting to drop the front differential again to grind more down, but I will be seeing if I can find a way to dremmel or something to create a gap between the fins and frame......

OP
OP
bunchz71

bunchz71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed on one of your replys to someones comment on a different post, you mentioned because of the short wheel base to keep an eye on the rear drive shaft. I have noticed that it seems with the RC 6" Lift, theres 3-4 inches of the yoke shaft going into the rear of the tranny.... how much you think should be inserted into the rear of the tranny as a minimum ? It seems I do have a small vibration when I let off the gas, but I was thinking it could be the front dif rubbing on the frame from where I didnt grind enough of the fins off... Have you seen it where the rear drive shaft has to be replaced as well, due to the length ?

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check the shaft, there will be a wear mark of where it used to sit in the transfer case. I think about one inch sticks out stock. Vibration could be the need for a shim or a tapered block in the rear, could be a U joint getting ready to go. That happens when the angles change drastically and quickly with a lift. A slightly work joint shows up really fast. You can lengthen the stock shaft. A local drive line place can do that and it shouldn't bee too much

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo