1999 4x4 2 Door Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bunchz71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off, I am glad that I am finally an owner of a 2 door tahoe. Just to give a background of why I bought this particular tahoe: My wife has wanted one of these since before we were married and I was finally able to find one that we believed was not too ragged out, or one that has not 2 door.JPG spent more time rock crawling and in the river than it had on the highway. We bought this vehicle with the intention of it being my wifes every day driver. Someone had lowered this thing in the rear and put 22" chrome wheels on it. Not much really my taste for a 4x4 tahoe, but it was my way of knowing, this was someones every day driver and not a "River-Toy". I have ordered the Rough Country 6" Suspension Lift, which should be here any day now. The vehicle appears to be leveled, and looks rather good, but it would look better as a 2WD not a 4 WD (IMO). I have also attached a picture of the leaf springs, which appears someone has notched, heated and bent to lower the rear end to be the same height as the front. I do not think the front has been lowered, but I could be wrong. Anyone who thinks it has, feel free to comment and give me your opinion, I appreciate the input. I also will be putting on 17" x 9" wheels with 35's. It will probably take me most this weekend, but its gonna look sweet when its done. Anyone have any tricks, or tips that they have learned from their install that may make mine go more smoothly. Definitely open for feedback and such. Thanks for reading and feel free to comment, pros and cons.

ALSO, I have already purchased another set of rear leaf springs for this, since I knew these were not usable for a lift.

THANKS

rear leaf spring (front).JPG

rear leaf spring.JPG

OP
OP
bunchz71

bunchz71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep. I was lucky to find a set at the first salvage yard I went to. Pretty lucky considering how hard these things are to find, much less by parts for.

OP
OP
bunchz71

bunchz71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you think front end looks lowered as well ? I cant tell from looking at it. Looks like original spindles etc.

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome. Nice looking 2 door. Good score.

SUBURBIAN

All Chevy
Reaction score
The front is hopefully riding on very loose torsion bar preload, and can just be "cranked" back up.

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, I've never seen someone put a spring in a break and bend it to lower a truck..change them ASAP

OP
OP
bunchz71

bunchz71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are already changed out. I had to replace them to put on the lift. The rear is complete and working on the front. It is taking me longer than it should have because I am changing out ball joints, tie rod ends and wheels bearings. Wheel Bearings probably would have lasted a little while longer, but I went ahead and changed them since I already have them apart. The shocks, ball joints, tie rod ends all looked orignal, so it was definitely time to change them anyways lol. Thankfully the torsion bars were just cranked all the way down, all the shocks were completely shot and had no rebound to them at all lol. This thing is going to ride like a new one when I am done. Hopefully get the lift finished up tonight and will post some pics later in the week. I am definitely not impressed with the installation instructions that came with this Rough Country Lift, details are very vague and not clear a lot of times. Black and white pictures make it hard to decifer the full details of the picture.I think I have eat up more time trying to figure out some of the details than actually working on the lift installation.

I think the wheel bearings I pulled off would be fine for a river toy,but probably not a daily driver.

jerryjoe28

That Guy
Reaction score
They are already changed out. I had to replace them to put on the lift. The rear is complete and working on the front. It is taking me longer than it should have because I am changing out ball joints, tie rod ends and wheels bearings. Wheel Bearings probably would have lasted a little while longer, but I went ahead and changed them since I already have them apart. The shocks, ball joints, tie rod ends all looked orignal, so it was definitely time to change them anyways lol. Thankfully the torsion bars were just cranked all the way down, all the shocks were completely shot and had no rebound to them at all lol. This thing is going to ride like a new one when I am done. Hopefully get the lift finished up tonight and will post some pics later in the week. I am definitely not impressed with the installation instructions that came with this Rough Country Lift, details are very vague and not clear a lot of times. Black and white pictures make it hard to decifer the full details of the picture.I think I have eat up more time trying to figure out some of the details than actually working on the lift installation.

I think the wheel bearings I pulled off would be fine for a river toy,but probably not a daily driver.

cant wait for pics!

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same installation instruction issues your having when i did my lift on the 99 ram i used to have. I liked my rc lift for what i used it for (occasional driver/weekend fun) but if i did a lift on a ram again id go a different route. Replacement front coils were extremely stiff for the entire time i had it and bad steering angles. Bad bump steer and a lumber wagon ride.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC