'18 Expedition Platinum vs '18 Yukon Denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kmdcolo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I currently have a Nissan Armada other than a few batteries has been the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. I don't currently own a Suburban or Yukon XL but I am in the market for a new full-size SUV. I have 4-kids in Recaro car seats and we are expecting number 5 in May. We are looking at a 2018 Denali XL, 2018 Ford Expedition Platinum Max, and 2018 Lincoln Navigator L to replace the Armada. We are trying to line up extended test drives of all 3 models so we can compare them at the same time.

GMC
Pros:
  • Power
  • Behind 3rd row cargo
  • Rear door size
  • Rear seat entertainment (dual monitor on the ceiling. My kids all have iPads but think video screens are so cool)
  • Space (width) between row 2 captains chairs
  • Looks

Cons:
  • 3rd-row legroom
  • Lack of tech (compared to Ford)
  • New version coming in a few years

Ford
Pros:
  • Legroom in every row
  • Sliding / Tilting middle row seats w/child seat latched
  • Tech - Cross-traffic alert, self-parking parallel/perpendicular, surround view camera
  • Drive modes (snow, eco, towing, sport)
  • LED lighting
  • Towing capacity

Cons:
  • Massive rear doors (fear door dings and chipped edges)
  • Smaller cargo space behind 3rd-row
  • Panorama sunroof (I hit my head on the headliner in row 2)
  • Rear seat entertainment (on front passenger headrests)
  • No discounts
  • New model bugs(engine and transmission aren't new technologies)

Navigator
Pros:
  • Same as Ford Pros
  • Interior is superior to GMC, Ford, Cadillac except for the push button transmission
  • 450HP / 510ft lbs

Cons:
  • $$$
  • No discounts

I grew up driving 3/4 ton Suburbans 83' 5.7, 92' 7.4, and 03' 8.1.

Vector

Full Access Member
Reaction score
to be honest for me, I wouldn't buy a ford simply based on they float like a big old boat going down the highway.

I have never owned a FORD, but within the last few months rented an Expedition(they were out of Subs/Yukons) to tow a large trailer across the state when my Suburban was not available. Instead of me controlling the trailer like I did in my Suburban, the trailer was controlling the Expedition. It's rear suspension didn't seem strong enough to hold the weight properly (despite having the specs to do so), thus that rear sagged which help made the front end light. It was night and day from my Suburban, and was a miserable 6 hour tow.
It also seemed very utilitarian compared with the GM's, and that is especially true of the Denali from what I've seen.

georgebuhr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I did not take the time to read through all the posts on here, but your original post asked about repair costs. I can tell you working as a collision repair mechanic, that the repair costs on the newer Fords across the entire lineup are stupid expensive. We had a customer come in last month with a 2016 Edge. Car was new enough where the only real option was to fix it with new Ford parts, however the repair bill was over $13,000, and it did not get hit hard enough to replace the fenders on the front. Granted it needed the bumper, all the cooling, the hood, some stuff on the engine, but the main reason why it was so high, is that there is a TON of pieces to the bumpers nowadays, and each piece can be 3-500 a piece. This repair a comparable car in a different make would be $7-8000 tops. I don't think a 2018 Expedition would be any different.

Obviously, insurance is going to pay for that, but you may pay a higher premium for the privilege of driving a Ford.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have never owned a FORD, but within the last few months rented an Expedition(they were out of Subs/Yukons) to tow a large trailer across the state when my Suburban was not available. Instead of me controlling the trailer like I did in my Suburban, the trailer was controlling the Expedition. It's rear suspension didn't seem strong enough to hold the weight properly (despite having the specs to do so), thus that rear sagged which help made the front end light. It was night and day from my Suburban, and was a miserable 6 hour tow.
It also seemed very utilitarian compared with the GM's, and that is especially true of the Denali from what I've seen.

Thats interesting. What model was it? An long wheel base I assume? Platinum?

Did it have max tow or FX4? They include a stiffer rear suspension setting...

Last edited:

MichaelSE

2010 2500
Reaction score
I'd hold off for a few months if you could, just to see if Ford will put the new 3.0 PowerStroke diesel (from the F150) into the Expedition. Power figures were released a few days ago and it looks good, 440 ft-lb of torque at under 2000 rpm.

Vector

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats interesting. What model was it? An long wheel base I assume? Platinum?

Did it have max tow or FX4? They include a stiffer rear suspension setting...

I cannot give an accurate answer, since I had reserved a Suburban/Yukon XL, only to find not a single one was left. I was told they are in high demand, and I retorted "hence the reason I reserved one". They refused to upgrade me to an Escalade ESV at the same price, so I went into the lot to see what if any full size SUV's were equipped with the tow package. Thus I was stuck with an Expedition, which was the only full sized SUV and that had the required towing capability.
Despite not knowing Fords well, I knew their full sized SUV's had the rating to tow the load.
Had it been a *** SUV or "crossover", I'd have paid more attention to the specific model/trim.
Leaving the rental agency I felt lucky having something that could meet my requirements for the trip. That is until I hooked up the trailer to see the suspension look like it could barely hold the load.

So while it was an Expedition, I cannot honestly say what package/level it was.

ajs800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cannot give an accurate answer, since I had reserved a Suburban/Yukon XL, only to find not a single one was left. I was told they are in high demand, and I retorted "hence the reason I reserved one". They refused to upgrade me to an Escalade ESV at the same price, so I went into the lot to see what if any full size SUV's were equipped with the tow package. Thus I was stuck with an Expedition, which was the only full sized SUV and that had the required towing capability.
Despite not knowing Fords well, I knew their full sized SUV's had the rating to tow the load.
Had it been a *** SUV or "crossover", I'd have paid more attention to the specific model/trim.
Leaving the rental agency I felt lucky having something that could meet my requirements for the trip. That is until I hooked up the trailer to see the suspension look like it could barely hold the load.

So while it was an Expedition, I cannot honestly say what package/level it was.
Are we talking the new expedition or pre 2018?

hunter991

Reaction score
There is a video on youtube of a new 18 expy towing against the 17 suburban. One thing i hated was how the Expy squated when the trailer was hooked up.. I understand you can get the leveled suspension on the ford, but wow... for a vehicle that can tow up to 9k you couldn't see the top of back tire. If there is one thing i hate, its full sized vehicles that squat like that. I came from a Toyota Sequoia when i bought my Tahoe and love that the Tahoe just self adjusts to the weight. When i connected my boats to the Toyota the truck would squat. Just looks weird and unsafe. It towed just fine but...

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a video on youtube of a new 18 expy towing against the 17 suburban. One thing i hated was how the Expy squated when the trailer was hooked up.. I understand you can get the leveled suspension on the ford, but wow... for a vehicle that can tow up to 9k you couldn't see the top of back tire. If there is one thing i hate, its full sized vehicles that squat like that. I came from a Toyota Sequoia when i bought my Tahoe and love that the Tahoe just self adjusts to the weight. When i connected my boats to the Toyota the truck would squat. Just looks weird and unsafe. It towed just fine but...

this it? They'll called it a toss up...

hunter991

Reaction score
at 1:33 you will see the Chevy is level and has adjusted for the load.. at 4:12 just look at the squat on the ford. . Its ready to wheely. Hardly what i would expect from a truck that says it can tow over 8k.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz